Part of my attitude relates to an experience I had. And this was within a single HIS. I wanted to…
Connected health company Validic acquires Cox Communications subsidiary Trapollo, which offers technology and services that help healthcare organizations care for patients at home.
The companies had previously partnered to support a West Coast IDN’s personalized care program.
Cox will become an investor in Validic as part of the acquisition.
From Vera Dime-a-Dozen: “Re: MDRX, formerly Allscripts and now Veradigm. Were supposed to restate their 10K on May 8, but it has been postponed to mid-June as the internal audit continues to identify issues.” The company says in a recent SEC filing that it hopes to file the 10-K by June 14, but can’t guarantee it. The company announced on March 22 that the year-end audit and 10-K filing would be extended because of “internal control deficiencies related to revenue recognition.” Veradigm expects the audit to have a revenue impact of $40 million that will require restating its 2021 financials.
HIStalk Announcements and Requests
Gmail suddenly started sending legitimate incoming emails to spam a few weeks ago, I noticed yesterday, including entries from the Rumor Report and Contact forms. I added some inbox rules that should fix that, but let me know if you didn’t receive a reply that you expected.
Attention HIStalk sponsors that are participating in the MUSE Inspire conference June 7-10 in Aurora, CO — send me your details and I’ll include them in my online list of sponsor activities there. I see some sponsor names sprinkled among those companies that have booths in the sold-out exhibit hall of the conference’s 40th anniversary.
Acquisition, Funding, Business, and Stock
Healthcare pricing transparency startup Cascade Health raises $1.7 million in venture funding. It has developed healthcare pricing APIs and an AI-powered chatbot that answers patient questions about procedure pricing and insurance coverage. Co-founders Ana-Maria Constantin and Pulak Goyal hail from Microsoft.
Divurgent CEO Ed Marx announces on LinkedIn that he has left the company after one year and will work as an independent consultant. The company made no announcement, but its leadership page shows that founder Colin Konschak, RPh, MBA, who stepped down from the CEO job in May 2022 but remained board chair, is again serving in both roles.
Dale Sanders, chief strategy officer of Intelligent Medical Objects, resigns to take a one-year professional break.
CereCore promotes Peyman Zand, MBA to chief strategy officer.
HCTec hires Bill Lewkowski (Lewkowski Associates) as VP of strategic client services.
Rhapsody names Jeff Chiumiento (Rocket Software) as CFO.
Jason Prestinario, MS (Komodo Health) joins Particle Health as CEO.
Jane Casey, RN, MS (Humber River Hospital) joins Tampa General Hospital as VP of CareComm Operations, its clinical command center.
Zyter|TruCare names Kevin Riley, MBA (Salesforce) as president and CEO.
John George (Validic) joins Gozio Health as chief sales officer.
- Piedmont Healthcare (GA) will launch a remote patient monitoring program using RPM software from Telemetrix and devices, care management, and coaching from Remote Care Partners.
- The University of Mississippi Medical Center selects remote patient monitoring software, services, and resources from AMC Health.
Announcements and Implementations
CHIME opens registration for its Fall Forum November 9-12 in Phoenix, AZ for its provider members.
The West Hawaiʻi Region of Hawaiʻi Health Systems will go live on Epic June 1 through a Community Connect partnership with The Queen’s Health System.
Hendrick Health (TX) launches a wayfinding app developed by Gozio Health.
A Connected Health Initiative survey finds that 89 million Americans use a wearable device, with fitness tracking being the most common use followed by sleep and weight monitoring. Nearly all of the users are sharing data with their healthcare provider or are willing to, while 40% of those with a chronic condition say that the device has simplified their health management. More than half of HSA/FSA participants who don’t have a wearable say they would be more likely to buy one if they could fund the purchase from those accounts.
Government and Politics
Minnesota lawmakers are planning make a single exception to the state’s proposed patient-to-nurse hospital staffing ratio regulation for Mayo Clinic, which threatened to pull billions of dollars worth of investments out of the state in protest over the bill and another involving price transparency. House Speaker Melissa Hortmann says the exception is justified because “Mayo is different” and “an asset that is known all over the world.” Draft legislation would exempt hospitals that aren’t in the Twin Cities, that use an electronic nurse acuity system, and that have 40% of patients coming from out of state, requirements that only Mayo in Rochester meets.
Netsmart earns top user satisfaction rankings among behavioral health technology vendors, according to a Black Book survey of 2,847 end-users.
UF Health launches tele-pharmacy kiosks from MedAvail Technologies at three of its ERs. Newly discharged patients can virtually consult with a pharmacist and pick up medications within about five minutes.
A Black Book survey of health system IT leaders finds that Care.ai is the top emerging ambient intelligence solution. The company has deployed AI solutions for infection prevention and control, patient and protocol monitoring, workforce optimization, and virtual care in 1,500 organizations.
A researcher warns that companies are rolling out AI-powered search tools for academic databases and research journals without understanding the opportunities and limitations of those tools. The author calls for evidence-based groups to audit individual search tools and publish their suitable uses so that research projects aren’t skewed.
- Ellkay, which participates annually in the Go the Distance for Autism biking event, seeks donations to help it meet its fundraising goal of $35,000.
- Artera expands its online learning center, Artera Academy, to include an improved user dashboard, integrated events hub, and more accessible learning resources.
- Baker Tilly releases a new Healthy Outcomes Podcast, “The current state of cybersecurity in the healthcare industry.”
- Nordic publishes a podcast titled “Designing for Health: Dr. Adam Wright.”
- Bamboo Health will exhibit at the Medicare Star Ratings, HEDIS, Quality Assurance & Risk Conference June 5-7 in Chicago.
- Biofourmis will sponsor the Hospital @ Home Leadership Summit June 5-6 in Boston.
- CloudWave will exhibit at the NRHA Annual Rural Health Conference through May 19 in San Diego.
- Specialty Pharmacists Get a Seat at the Table (Surescripts)
- Happy Birthday to Advanced Reporting & Analytics! (AdvancedMD)
- Revenue Integrity: Healthcare’s Growing Need (AGS Health)
- The Modern Odyssey: How do I find a ‘good doctor?’ (Amenities)
- Looming crisis: managing Medicaid redetermination as the PHE ends (Arcadia)
- Three Lessons for Optimizing Corporate Events (Ascom)
- The Butterfly Effect: Azara 2023 Annual User Conference Highlights (Azara Healthcare)
- How high-fidelity data could drive better predictive care and research insights (Philips Capsule)
- Creative Staffing Coordination for Budget-Friendly Epic Implementations (CereCore)
- How CCM Can Help Your Urology Practice (ChartSpan)
- Connecting to Greater Possibilities and Providing Care Anywhere (CHIME)