Upvote for Living Colour. And I had lost track of them too, after their initial breakout success. "Cult of Personality"…
Carrum Health, whose platform helps employers manage employee healthcare costs, raises $45 million in a Series B funding round.
HIStalk Announcements and Requests
Poll respondents aren’t convinced that the VA will finish its Oracle Cerner implementation.
New poll to your right or here: Did you sell $10,000 or more in products or services from your own company in the past year?
Listening: new from Yes, a 55-year-old band with no original members left whose recent live shows have been innumerable but awful. I walked out on them a couple of years ago because they sounded like a bad tribute band (which they kind of are) in playing their old album cuts slower, lower, and lazier in a seemingly desperate money grab, but this new music is actually pretty good even if a bit wimpy compared to their sweeping epics of yesteryear. I still prefer old concert videos, such as original singer Jon Anderson doing “Awaken” with Iceland-based rock band Todmobile (gets me every time) and the the full band’s symphonic live version of “Soon.” For me, Yes scores high in the all-important “what music would you want played at your funeral” test. It will outlive the many band members who wrote, recorded, and performed it over decades.
Acquisitions, Funding, Business, and Stock
Health IT and cybersecurity solutions vendor Anatomy IT acquires dental software company Iris Solutions.
Dock Health, which specializes in automated healthcare task management, raises $5 million in funding. The company was created from Boston Children’s Hospital’s innovation department in 2020.
Weight loss app Noom launches a telemedicine service to offer consumers access to prescription weight-loss medications like Ozempic and Wegovy.
A new KLAS report looks at remote patient monitoring technology vendors.
- Niagra Health in Ontario will implement Sectra One enterprise imaging.
- Corterra Healthcare (KS) chooses Medsphere’s Wellsoft EHR and RCM Cloud for a new behavioral health hospital.
Rebecca Manne, RN (Optimum Healthcare IT) joins Continuum Health IT as EVP of EHR Implementation.
Announcements and Implementations
Premier launches SmartPO, digital supply chain procurement and inventory management technology that will enable continuum of care providers to better identify cost savings and use staff resources more effectively.
A University of Michigan national poll of people aged 50-80 finds that 78% have a patient portal (half of those have more than one), 55% used it in the past month, half provided access to family members, and most were comfortable logging in and navigating it. People preferred the portal over the telephone for getting test results, updating personal information, getting medical records copies, and requesting refills, but they liked the telephone better for reporting symptoms, scheduling appointments, and requesting referrals.
The former Cerner Continuous Campus is under purchase contract to be turned into apartments and commercial space, although no companies have expressed interest in the campus’s 660,000 square feet of vacant offices.
A small study finds that smart watches and wristbands do a good job of correctly detecting atrial fibrillation even though they don’t have access to outside algorithms.
Government and Politics
VA Secretary Denis McDonough promises to look into reports that the VA medical center in Spokane will be forced to cut staff due to a budget shortfall caused by the troubled EHR Modernization program. He reiterated that he stands by statements made by VA Under Secretary for Health Shereef Elnahal that budget concerns related to the Oracle Cerner system will not result in layoffs.
Former Theranos CEO Elizabeth Holmes reports to a Texas prison after her losing her bid to remain free while appealing her conviction for investor fraud, which led to an 11-year sentence.
Privacy and Security
A new Florida law prohibits the state’s providers from storing EHR data outside the US, its territories, or Canada, including those patient records that are hosted in the cloud or by a third party.
The bankrupt, non-profit Idaho Health Data Exchange replaces its executive director. The organization launched in 2009 using federal grants and ongoing funds from the HITECH act that ran out in 2021.
Mayo Clinic and University of California, San Francisco researchers determine that pairing AI imaging and volumetric breast density algorithms can help in predicting long-term risk of breast cancer, particularly invasive diseases. Their study used Volpara Health’s TruDensity algorithm and ScreenPoint Medical’s Transpara image-based risk tool.
In perhaps the first incident of AI leading to professional embarrassment or worse, defense attorneys ask to have a man’s personal injury lawsuit dismissed after noticing that most of the legal citations it included were not real. The plaintiff’s lawyer, who has practiced for 30 years, admitted that he had used ChatGPT for the first time and was not aware that it could generate false information. He even asked ChatGPT if the citations were real and was assured incorrectly that the cases “are real and can be found in reputable legal databases.”
- Wolters Kluwer Health wins the NorthFace ScoreBoard Service Award for the twelfth consecutive year for superior customer service.
- OptimizeRx CEO Will Febbo provides a mid-year strategic update.
- Nordic Consulting names Samara Lattimer (Akkodis) a new client partner in the UK and Ireland.
- Aridhia Informatics Chief Data Officer Amanda Borens, MS is featured in an “Engineering Field of Dreams” podcast titled “Spelunking Adventures in Data.”
- Spok will join the broad-market Russell 3000 Index on June 26.
- West Monroe releases a new podcast, “Why All Companies Should ‘Shift Left’.”
- COVID-19 Interoperability Alliance Retrospective (Clinical Architecture)
- AONL 2023: Drawing inspiration to fuel the future of nursing (Meditech)
- Amplifying Success: How Integrated Behavioral Health Programs Can Achieve the Quintuple Aim (NeuroFlow)
- How Can Healthcare Providers Improve Their Data Integrity to Achieve Better Insights? (NTT Data)
- 360Dx: Legislation Would Provide Medicare Coverage for Pharmacy-Based Testing (OmniSys)
- Safeguarding security and privacy in the age of generative AI (Orbita)
- Healthcare Coding Series: LOINC Codes (Pivot Point Consulting)
- Partnering with a Revenue Cycle Management Company to Tackle Hospitalist Billing (PMD)
- Young Upstart to Four-Star Admiral: The Chance Events of Dr. Brett Giroir (Surescripts)
- Designing a Comprehensive Caregiver Support Strategy: Empowering the Unsung Heroes of Healthcare (Trualta)
- 4 Signs Your PT Patient is About to Drop Out (WebPT)
- Jump to the Front of the Line for National Network Access (Zen Healthcare IT)
- What is the Focus of a Care Plan? (Zynx Health)
- Healthcare CIOs Talk: How to Navigate AI, Analytics, and Automation (CereCore)