Harris acquires Bizmatics, which offers the PrognoCIS EHR/PM.
Recent acquisitions have given Canada-based Harris, which is owned by Constellation Software, a long list of health IT brands that includes Amazing Charts, GEMMS, QuadraMed, Iatric Systems, IMDSoft, Just Associates, Picis, Obix, DigiChart, Uniphy Health, and MediSolution.
From ML Ratio: “Re: tech-powered insurers. Several are going public and touting their technology. Will you be covering them?” Probably not since I think they are blowing smoke in trying to convince investors that they are sexy tech companies instead of boring old insurers whose profitability is based on stealing someone else’s insurance customers, negotiating provider contracts, and managing their medical loss ratio. You’re still an insurance company if most of your income is generated by premiums rather than a cute app or quickly launched telehealth program whose main end product is buzz. That’s especially true of recent startups whose website and pitch deck tries to make you think they are the next Facebook. Ignore the self-assigned labels and focus on their tiny market share, handful of coverage areas, and big competitors to whom they provide little threat. You don’t want to go toe-to-toe with UnitedHealth Group, Anthem, or Centene armed only with a clever idea for making Medicare Advantage primary care seem more interesting
HIStalk Announcements and Requests
Welcome to new HIStalk Platinum Sponsor Culbert Healthcare Solutions. The Woburn, MA-based company’s patient access, clinical workflow, and revenue cycle operations experience, combined with its deep IT strategy and deployment experience, uniquely qualifies it to select, implement, and optimize healthcare technologies. Its health IT consulting team includes former CIOs and vendor-focused analysts who design and deliver high-value services that advance the delivery of care, enhance the patient experience, and improve financial performance. Thanks to Culbert Healthcare Solutions for supporting HIStalk.
About 60% of poll respondents say their company’s work culture is the same or better now as it was a year ago, results I didn’t expect given a tough year of pandemic challenges, remote work, and uncertainty. I’m interested to see how both company culture and internal job opportunities are affected when some but not all employees continue working remotely as a permanent arrangement. Remote workers were out of sight, out of mind in the places I’ve worked, with those jobs (other than consulting or sales) best suited for folks who weren’t looking to gain responsibility, get promoted, or boost their resumes with challenging new assignments. Those rewards were given to the familiar faces of people who spend their days around conference room tables, in unplanned hallway conversations, and at lunch with those who have some control over their occupational destiny.
Thanks to the following companies that recently supported HIStalk. Click a logo for more information and to thank them for keeping my keyboard clacking.
Acquisitions, Funding, Business, and Stock
Real estate investment trust Omega Healthcare Investors acquires Connected Living, which provides smart devices, apps, and wearables to senior housing and care companies.
Ascension Ventures raises $285 million for its fifth strategic venture capital fund, increasing its assets under management to more than $1 billion.
The one-month performance of the Global X Telemedicine and Digital Health EFT is a loss of 18% versus the Nasdaq’s 9% loss. EDOC shares are up 15% since their July 30, 2020 listing, trailing the Nasdaq’s 19% gain in the same period.
Announcements and Implementations
Walmart heir Alice Walton, who is one of the world’s richest women at a reported net worth of $60 billion, announces that her non-profit will create a new medical school, Whole Health School of Medicine and Health Sciences, in Walmart’s home town of Bentonville, AR.
Nearly one-fourth of Americans have received at least their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine, including 59% of those 65-75 and 69% of those over 75.
Former FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb, MD predicts that meetings and widespread travel will return to the US in July through September, but that will slow again to some degree as cooler weather drives people back indoors.
- Nordic welcomes Saran Sonaisamy (Cognizant) as director of cloud transformation and cybersecurity.
- PerfectServe publishes a new case study featuring the University of Tennessee Medical Center, “EMR Embedded Communication Improves Efficiency.”
- Pure Storage and Equinix develop a Bare Metal as a Service storage offering that delivers a unified, connected platform for any stage of an organization’s cloud journey.
- Redox releases a new podcast, “Withings’ Journey from Consumer to Remote Patient Monitoring.”
- SOC Telemed achieves full URAC accreditation.
- Summit Healthcare publishes a new use case, “Lincoln Surgical Selects Summit Healthcare to Improve Care Continuity with the All Access Platform.”
- Louisville Business First recognizes Waystar CTO Chris Schremser as a 2021 Health Care Hero.
- Why use medical scribes when you don’t have to? (Nuance)
- Innovate4Outcomes: Empowering Clinicians to Ensure Successful Patient Outcomes (OptimizeRx)
- 3 Reasons Why Efficiency Can Help Your Health Outcomes and Market Share (PatientBond)
- Don’t Forget the IV Pump: 4 Steps to Successfully Rationalize Biomedical Equipment & Infrastructure During M&A (Pivot Point Consulting)
- Accuracy and Efficiency Should Not Cost Extra (PMD)
- How University of Louisville Physicians Grew Visits by 10% and Saved Millions (Premier)
- 3 Ways to Prioritize HCC Coding Review Opportunities in the New Year (RcXRules)
- How a Powerful Digital Front Door Pays Off for Patients & Healthcare Providers (Relatient)
- Infographic: What EHR Vendors Need to Know About Real-Time Prescription Benefit (RxRevu)
- Why Telemedicine Careers for Physicians are Becoming More Popular (SOC Telemed)
- Is your texting app HIPAA compliant? Understanding HIPAA-compliant texting (Spok)
- Infographic: Power up your patient portal (Krames)
- You Can’t Just Say: “Tomorrow, we’re going to be a High Reliability Organization” (TransformativeMed)
- 5 Fast and Cheap Ways to Fix Your Clinic’s Marketing (WebPT)
- Reducing Hospital Readmissions Through Patient Education (Well Health)