Part of my attitude relates to an experience I had. And this was within a single HIS. I wanted to…
A paywalled Boston Globe article says that Athenahealth CEO Bob Segert is preparing to take the company public for a second time.
Private equity firms Veritas Capital and Evergreen Coast Capital acquired the company in 2018 for $5.7 billion, bringing Segert on as CEO after his stint as chairman of Virence Health, which Veritas owned and combined with Athenahealth as part of the deal.
Athenahealth first went public in 2007. Veritas took the company private in 2019.
From A Friend of Abry: “Re: Sensato acquired by Cloudwave. Sources say they paid a high multiple, hoping to create the first end-to-end healthcare operating platform that spans the public/private cloud and on-premise environments and will offer the first network and security solution that is specifically designed for healthcare.”
HIStalk Announcements and Requests
Vicki’s donation, matched dollar for dollar in a Giving Tuesday program, fully funded these Donors Choose teacher grant requests:
- Math resources for Ms. R’s elementary school class in Richmond, VA.
- Math manipulatives for Ms. D’s elementary school class in Tallahassee, FL.
- Science flashcard supplies for Ms. M’s elementary school class in Brownsville, TX.
Acquisitions, Funding, Business, and Stock
Healthcare data security company CloudWave acquires managed cybersecurity services vendor Sensato for an undisclosed sum. Sensato founder John Gomez will become Cloudwave’s chief security and engineering officer.
Virtual mental therapy provider Talkspace is reportedly in talks to be acquired by Amwell for $200 million in shares, barely more than the value of its cash on hand and representing a loss of 90% of Talkspace’s value in less than two years. TALK went public in a SPAC merger in June 2021, with shares closing at $9.19 per share versus today’s $0.89 following a 36% jump on the rumor. AMWL shares that closed at $23.07 on their first day of trading in September 2020 are now worth $3.49, valuing the company at $960 million.
Air Force veteran and former White House physician Benjamin Barlow, MD (American Family Care) joins Experity as chief medical officer.
Announcements and Implementations
Adventist Health Mendocino Coast (CA) will go live on Oracle Cerner December 1.
Visage Imaging will offer an adapter to Amazon HealthLake Imaging from Amazon Web Services as part of its Visage 7 Enterprise Imaging Platform.
Canon launches Canon Healthcare USA, hoping to strengthen its business in imaging diagnostics, health IT, and in vitro diagnostics.
Privacy and Security
Hackers reportedly demand $50 million in cryptocurrency to restore the servers of India’s 2,200-bed AIl India Institute of Medical Services.
ProPublica looks at how half of Americans die while under hospice care, with a lack of regulation encouraging fraud and exploitation that has turned hospice care into a $22 billion industry that is mostly paid for by federal taxpayers via Medicare. Salespeople knock on doors in low-income areas offering free medications and housekeeping services in return for allowing their chronic conditions to be portrayed as fatal. The authors note that hospice companies get the highest rate of return for the least amount of work of any healthcare sector, with per-day payments requiring only twice-monthly visits, for which a hospice with only 20 patients can generate $1 million in annual revenue. A previous study found that 12% of hospice patients were not visited in their last two days of life and that for-profit hospices regularly discharge patients whose life has extended long enough to raise Medicare suspicion. An attorney says that expecting whistleblowers to keep for-profit hospices honest places “a ludicrous amount of optimism in a system with a capitalist payee and a socialist payer.”
A Washington Post opinion piece says that US healthcare inefficiency subsidizes the rest of the world, as profit-seeking providers and a lack of price controls allows drug, device, and IT companies to make most of their profits here and sell elsewhere for a fraction of our price. The US has 4% of the world’s population but 50% of its $8 trillion healthcare economy.
The State Medical Board of Ohio suspends the license of plastic surgeon Katharine Roxanne Grawe, MD for violating rules pertaining to maintaining patient privacy when sharing photos or video via social media, and for inappropriately treating and/or failing to appropriately treat three patients who suffered severe post-surgical complications. The board specifically notes Grawe’s repeated failure to cease live-streaming surgical procedures, during which she responded to viewer questions and comments in real time.
- Nuance announces that Baptist Health (KY) and Einstein Healthcare (PA) have joined the Nuance Precision Imaging Network.
- Agfa HealthCare has been named to the Leaders Category in the IDC MarketScape: US Enterprise Medical Imaging 2022-2023 Vendor Assessment.”
- Bamboo Health names Christopher Conway (Brown & Toland Physicians) legal ops manager and Madeline Lally (Pathways Healthcare) business development representative.
- Biofourmis wins a bronze Digital Health Award in the connected digital health category for telehealth/remote patient monitoring.
- CHIME releases a new CHIMEcast Leader to Leader Podcast, “Unlocking the Digital Front Door to Improve Patient Care & Provider Efficiency.”
- Nordic publishes a video titled “The Download – Harnessing Data and Analytics to Freeze the Squeeze.”
- Clearsense will present at the Data Governance & Information Quality Conference December 5 in Washington, DC.
- Clearwater will sponsor the H-ISAC Fall Americas Summit December 6-8 in Phoenix.
- Vyne Medical’s FastAttach, Trace Web Application (Hosted), and Refyne Denials Management systems earn Certified status for information security from HITRUST.
- Shortening the long road to reimbursement (AdvancedMD)
- 5 Reasons Why Coding and Documentation Audits are More Important Than Ever (AGS Health)
- HLTH 2022 Recap: 3 Key Takeaways (Arrive Health)
- From prenatal to postnatal and beyond: How patient communication can close gaps in maternal health care (Artera)
- Win with CarePort: Improving the Current State of Care Coordination for Physician Practices (CarePort Health)
- Which is best for your practice: Medical Billing Software vs RCM (ChartLogic)
- Is It Possible to Message HCPs While They’re Prescribing? Yup, Your Search is Over. (ConnectiveRx)
- How ServiceNow Can Ease the Process of Digital Transformation (CTG)
- How Analytics Can Help Hospitals Better Manage Their ICUs (Dimensional Insight)