Part of my attitude relates to an experience I had. And this was within a single HIS. I wanted to…
Oracle says in its earnings call that it will review Cerner’s product portfolio to find opportunities to move from third-party technologies to those of Oracle, including moving to Oracle’s cloud infrastructure.
Larry Ellison added that Oracle’s plan for a national health records database is “clearly going to be our largest business.”
HIStalk Announcements and Requests
I’m mostly recovered from my infection that may or may not have been COVID (all tests were negative, so who knows). The upside of being flat-on-back for a week is that I rediscovered the amazing decades-old hospital drama “St. Elsewhere,” of which the entire 137-episode run is available on Hulu. Also occupying my fuzzy-minded time is the first podcast I’ve ever listened to, the spectacular “Gilbert Gottfried’s Amazing Colossal Podcast!,” which like me obsesses over obscure TV shows and one-hit musical wonders as described by guests who were involved.
Acquisitions, Funding, Business, and Stock
ResMed will acquire Germany-based MediFox Dan, which offers out-of-hospital software solutions. ResMed will pay $1 billion for the acquisition, about 12 times net revenue.
Bardavon Health Innovations, whose network offers musculoskeletal health services for workers’ compensation cases, acquires PeerWell, which offers a MSK care coordination platform.
London-based Proximie, which virtually connects surgeons to ORs and cath labs, raises $80 million in a Series C round.
- Digital health company Zyter selects PatientBond’s psychographic segmentation model and patient engagement software to improve risk stratification and care plan adherence.
Cardiovascular Associates of America hires Jack Sunderman, MS (Clearwater Cardiovascular Consultants) as CIO.
Joe Rostock (AllosLogic) joins Avaneer Health as COO.
Amino Health hires Greg Born, MBA (MDsave) as chief growth officer.
CoverMyMeds promotes Clay Courville to chief product officer.
Announcements and Implementations
The University of Miami Health System’s Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center implements an internally-developed bilingual symptom and practical-needs screening and referral tool within its Epic EHR. Patients fill out the electronic survey through their patient portal before an appointment and are then triaged to supportive services and/or medical teams during their visits.
Gadsden Regional Medical Center (AL) implements PeriGen’s PeriWatch Vigilance AI-based maternal-fetal early warning system within its labor and delivery department.
Premier expands its PINC AI clinical surveillance technology to long-term care facilities, including automated COVID alerts, outbreak group tracking, documentation, and submission of infections to the CDC.
Startup Rune Labs earns FDA clearance to use its Apple Watch software, combined with a brain signal monitoring implant, to help doctors optimize therapy for Parkinson’s disease.
Government and Politics
HHS issues guidance on using remote communication technologies to provide audio-only telehealth services when OCR’s enforcement discretion is no longer in effect.
Eisenhower Army Medical Center at Fort Gordon (GA) works through patient portal appointment scheduling issues in its new MHS Genesis system, which went live over the weekend. The go-live marked the half-way point for the DoD’s facility-wide rollout of the Cerner-based system. The department anticipates wrapping up the enterprise deployment by the end of 2023.
Surescripts reports that 620,000 prescribers – half of those in the United States – used its Real-Time Prescription Benefit cost and coverage tool between December 2021 and May 2022, a 7.5% year-over-year increase The company attributes the technology’s growth to increased adoption among EHR vendors including Athenahealth, CompuGroup Medical, and Greenway Health.
A UK doctor apologizes to the family of a 92-year-old woman for incorrectly diagnosing her with terminal liver failure during a virtual visit, after which he recommended initiating end-of-life care. The family took her to the hospital, where she recovered fully after a four-day stay.
- Meditech is named 2021 Google Cloud Industry Solution Partner of the Year for healthcare.
- Hamad Medical Corp. and Primary Health Care Corp. adopt Cerner managed technology to deliver better outcomes in Qatar.
- EClinicalWorks releases a new podcast, “Healow Payment Services: Convenient, Electronic, and Easy to Use.”
- Baker Tilly publishes a case study, “Rural hospital draws $1.8 million in annual Medicare reimbursements through status change.”
- WellSky-owned CarePort announces that 2,500 post-acute providers and 13,000 home- and community-based services joints its network in 2021.
- Premier Inc.’s PINC AI will collaborate with R1 RCM to offer expanded end-to-end revenue cycle solutions.
- Change Healthcare, Olive, Optum, Surescripts, Bamboo Health, InterSystems, Diameter Health, Neuroflow, RxRevu, Talkdesk, and Wolters Kluwer will exhibit at AHIP 2022 June 21-23 in Las Vegas.
- CTG will present and host virtual investor meetings at the annual East Coast IDEAS Investor Conference June 23.
- Ellkay has raised $49,000 for the Alpine Learning Group through its team participation in Go the Distance for Autism.
- 5 Tips to Urgent Care Reputation Management (for 5-Star Reviews) (Experity)
- CloudWave and Tausight: Protecting PHI (CloudWave)
- How technology transformed a medical billing company’s revenue cycle management (Ability Network)
- UKIO and ECR: Agfa HealthCare, enterprise imaging pioneer, showcases radiology innovations at class-leading European events (Agfa HealthCare)
- The Evolution of Coding and What’s on the Horizon (AGS Health)
- Want to reduce claims calls? There’s an API for that. (Availity)
- Got Referrals? How to Improve Measure Results in 5 Minutes (Azara Healthcare)
- Minimizing Revenue Loss Due to Inpatient Status Downgrades (BDO)
- Digitizing CABG prep and at-home follow-up care for improved quality of life (Bravado Health)
- A Healthcare IT Consultant Story: Why You Need a Guide (CereCore)
- Techquity: Using technology and data insights to deliver more equitable patient care (Oracle Cerner)
- Multifactor Authentication: An Extra Layer of Security for Healthcare Organizations and Business Associates (Clearwater)
- A Guide to Better Serving Burnt-Out Physicians (ConnectiveRx)
- Navigate Common EHR Challenges with Stewardship from an Experienced Partner (CTG)
- Take Advantage of Big Data in the Healthcare Industry (Dimensional Insight)
- A Behavioral Health Module That Behaves Like One (EClinicalWorks)
- Value-based Care is the Answer for Humana (Enlace Health)