Good description of the problems with Microsoft Viva. I usually just say it's not helpful, obnoxious, and angering. Your description…
I will call this a “very special Weekender,” as the old TV shows used to say, as I limit this episode to a Donors Choose update. Feel free to skip this if you are looking for health IT news only.
Alex Benson, MPA is a long-time HIStalk reader, former Cerner executive, and SVP/GM of Bardavon Health Innovations since last year. He emailed to say that the company was interested in supporting the Donors Choose program. Which they did, in a generous way that needs its own post because the list of projects it funded is long.
Overland Park, KS-based Bardavon Health Innovations is a workers’ compensation digital health partner whose “clicks and mortar” technology connects its national network of physical therapists to self-insured employers to offer injury prevention, treatment, and work readiness solutions. There’s quite a bit of Cerner DNA in the company – Cliff Illig and Zane Burke are investors and board members, Ed Enyeart is CFO, and Jeff Steiner and Alex are general managers.
The company’s donation fully funded these Donors Choose teacher grant requests that I chose:
- Math manipulatives for Ms. F’s elementary school class in Miami, OK.
- Headphones for Ms. G’s elementary school class in Naples, FL.
- Science and STEM materials for Ms. W’s elementary school class in Miami, OK.
- Math learning tools for Ms. T’s middle school class in Montgomery, AL.
- Math learning tools for Ms. E’s elementary school class in Casa Grande, AZ.
- Math learning centers for Ms. P’s elementary school class in Washington, DC.
- Science sensory kits for Ms. H’s pre-kindergarten class in Washington, DC.
- Number recognition kits for Ms. G’s pre-kindergarten class in Columbus, IN.
- Robotics parts for the robotics teams of Mr. E’s magnet school in Van Nuys, CA.
- Sight words puzzles for Ms. B’s special education class in Brooklyn, NY.
- Storytelling kits for Ms. M’s elementary school class in Miramar, FL.
- Phonics and reading material for Mr. H’s elementary school class in Orlando, FL.
- Education centers for the kindergarten class of Ms. O in Staten Island, NY.
- Emotional support books and supplies for Ms. J’s elementary school class in Houma, LA.
- Math manipulatives for Ms. M’s elementary school class in Moore, OK.
- Flexible seating for Ms. R’s elementary school class in Kansas City, KS.
- Autism calm and focus tools for Ms. M’s autism preschool class in Glendale, AZ.
- Behavioral specialist supplies and games for the elementary school class of Ms. M in Las Vegas, NV.
- Dramatic play kits for language and social skills for Ms. K’s kindergarten class in Universal City, TX.
- Classroom organization mailboxes for Ms. B’s first grade class in Erie, PA.
- A set of 14 books for Ms. B’s elementary school class in Kansas City, MO.
- Science invention kits for Ms. M’s high school class in Kansas City, MO.
- 30 scientific calculators for Mr. F’s elementary school class in Kansas City, MO.
- Headphones and dry erase markers for Ms. C’s kindergarten class in Orlando, FL.
- STEAM bins for Ms. S’s elementary school class in Naples, FL.
- Sensory exploration kits for Ms. T’s special needs kindergarten class in Kernersville, NC.
- Soccer team supplies for Ms. F’s elementary school class in Yuma, AZ.
- Reading reward book purchase gift cards for Ms. S’s elementary school class in Bronx, NY.
- Building kits for Ms. G’s elementary school class in Sylmar, CA.
- A shelter and water cooler for the track team of Ms. M’s high school medical science class in Bronx, NY.
- Teaching resources for the speech therapy class of Ms. B in Detroit, MI.
- Mental health materials for the elementary school counseling sessions of Ms. R in Los Angeles, CA.
- Math and writing resources for the elementary school class of Ms. Z in Phoenix, AZ.
- Literary skills tools for Ms. D’s elementary school class in Eastpointe, MI.
- Behavior and sensitivity books for Ms. S’s elementary school class in Fresno, CA.
- English-Spanish dictionaries for Ms. G’s middle school ESL class in Indianapolis, IN.
- Classroom supplies for the autism elementary school class of Ms. H in Mesa, AZ.
- Headphones for the math intervention middle school class of Ms. P in Brighton, MA.
- Basketballs for the boys and girls teams of Ms. Q in Glendale, AZ.
- Decorations for the alternative prom for special needs students, voted by the school’s National Honor Society as an official project, for Ms. V’s high school in Buckeye, AZ.
- A mobile easel for the COVID-affected second grade class of Ms. M in Westminster, CA.
Many teachers responded quickly and I usually get updates (often with photos) to report how the donated items were used. Just to be clear, I receive these emails, but Bardavon Health Innovations provided the money.