Best Buy will acquire home monitoring platform vendor Current Health, which raised a $43 million Series B round earlier this year.
Co-founder and CEO Christopher McCann will remain with the company. He completed a master’s in computer engineering and left medical school in Scotland to start the company in 2015 with his co-founder and CTO, who had just completed a PhD in computing science.
Acquisitions, Funding, Business, and Stock
Cerner President and CEO David Feinberg, MD. MBA kicks off the virtual Cerner Health Conference with a call to “eliminate the noise in healthcare” by getting the right information to the right people at the right time. He mentioned the essential clinical dataset, defined by 12 Cerner clients in 2016 as the EHR data elements that are essential for providing quality care.
- CDC will use HealthVerity’s privacy-protected data exchange to develop a real-world dataset for projects related to COVID-19, viral hepatitis, and HIV.
Andrea Marks (UnitedHealth) joins Walmart as VP of clinical performance, overseeing the clinical data and analytics team.
Announcements and Implementations
MSU Health Care (MI) leverages remote Care Everyday patient monitoring technology from Higi as part of its RPM program for patients with chronic conditions.
Government and Politics
Rumors of an enterprise Epic implementation across the NHS in England begin swirling after NHS England Director of Transformation Ian O’Neil attended “high-level meetings” with Epic CEO Judy Faulkner. Adding flame to the fire of speculation is the fact that Tim Ferriss, NHS England’s new head of digital transformation, comes from Massachusetts General Hospital, which rolled Epic out in 2016.
In Canada, Newfoundland and Labrador’s COVID-19 vaccine passport system crashes just a few hours after launching due to overwhelming traffic. At one point, 600 QR codes were being downloaded every minute to the province’s NLVaxPass app.
- Netsmart VP and GM AJ Peterson and customers present at the American Health Care Association/National Center for Assisted Living 2021 Convention and Expo through October 13 in Washington, DC.
- Istishari Hospital in Jordan selects Wolters Kluwer Health’s UpToDate and Medi-Span Clinical clinical-decision support tools.
- CareSignal publishes a new case study featuring The Andrews Center, “High-Touch Care: Remote Patient Monitoring for Mental Health Identifies Potential Crises Ahead of Time.”
- CHIME awards 10 healthcare organizations the highest level of its Digital Health Most Wired Survey.
- CloudWave’s OpSus Healthcare Cloud attains SSAE18 standards certification renewal plus HITRUST.
The following HIStalk sponsors will exhibit at HLTH 2021 October 17-20 in Boston:
- NTT Data
- Well Health
- Health Catalyst
- Pure Storage
- Upfront Healthcare
- What the North Carolina Medicaid managed care bill means for your practice (Ability Network)
- PPCP and CarePort: real-time patient management (CarePort)
- ONC Creates New Health Protocols to Increase Interoperability (ChartLogic)
- Cyber Risk and Patient Safety: A Tragic Call to Arms (Clearwater)
- COVID-19 Highlights an Acute Need for Digital Patient Intake Solutions (Experian Health)
- The Biggest Challenges to Outpatient Coding (and What It Takes to Overcome Them) (EZDI)