The HIT Policy Committee may miss its end of year target date to deliver MU Stage 3 recommendations and begin work on Stage 4, according to the committee’s vice chair Paul Tang, MD. Eleven ONC committees and workgroups, including the Policy Committee, canceled meetings during the shutdown; Tang says his committee is shifting its schedule of deliverables out a month.
From Friend of Bob: “Re: BOB EDIS. Physicians’ voices were heard again at ACEP. A record breaking number of ED physicians attended ACEP13, over 7,000 reported. Wellsoft noted that at this year’s Scientific Assembly most attendees had a deep knowledge of BOB EDIS functionality and integration capabilities. This echoes the KLAS Specialty Report EDIS 2013: Revealing the Physicians Voice issued earlier this year.”
Acquisitions, Funding, Business, and Stock
DMH International, parent company of Touch Medical Solutions, signs a definitive letter of intent to acquire 100 percent of Virtual Physician’s Network, a provider of an online scheduling platform for surgeons.
VMware reports Q3 numbers: revenue up 14 percent, adjusted EPS $0.84 vs. $0.70, beating analyst estimates of $0.82 and in line with revenue expectations.
CTG reports Q3 numbers: revenue down five percent, EPS $0.23 vs. $0.23. The company says its healthcare business declined from last year because “a number of hospital clients are holding off on system investments” due to sequestration-related reimbursement concerns.
Lexmark reports Q3 numbers: revenue down three percent, EPS $0.95 vs. $0.94. Revenue for Lexmark’s Perceptive Software segment grew 38 percent.
Rochester General Health System (NY) will replace its existing enterprise content management system with Perceptive Software’s Content and Perceptive Capture solutions across its hospitals, ambulatory care centers, and physician offices.
St. Joseph Hospital (CA) will implement secure texting and on-call scheduling solutions from Amcom Software.
FirstHealth of the Carolinas (NC) selects MModal’s front- and back-end speech recognition, transcription, coding, and clinical analytics for its EHR systems.
Boston Children’s Hospital (MA) selects Strata Decision Technology’s StrataJazz for decision support and cost accounting.
Johns Hopkins Medicine (MD) will integrate Vital Images’ Universal Viewer into Epic.
Availity names Stephanie Kovalick (GE Healthcare) VP of portfolio operations.
Navicure appoints Sheridan B. Johnson chief compliance and security officer.
Population health analytics provider Rise Health names Michael Previti (Merge Healthcare) EVP of sales.
Announcements and Implementations
Meditech and Vitera Healthcare Solutions connect to the Surescripts network to provide their users with Direct secure messaging capabilities integrated with their EHRs.
Confluence Health-Central Washington Hospital & Clinics implements Merge Hemo from Merge Healthcare to automate their cath lab processes.
Summit Health (PA) deploys Nuance’s Clintegrity 360 Computer Assisted Coding and Clinical Document Improvement solutions for ICD-10 readiness.
Center Point Counseling (WI) installs ForwardHealth Group’s PopulationManager technology.
Most providers express optimism about McKesson Paragon’s ability to deliver in large hospital settings despite current functionality gaps, according to a KLAS report. In 2012, Paragon secured 11 of the 32 larger hospitals migrating from Horizon; 131 large Horizon hospitals have not yet selected a replacement platform.
Individuals are far more likely to die or suffer complications at hospitals receiving the lowest Healthgrades rating according to the report, Healthgrades American Hospital Quality Outcomes 2014: Report to the Nation.
The Physicians Foundation issues over $3 million in grants to medical society foundations and healthcare organizations to assist almost 10,000 physicians select and implement EHRs.
An Arizona woman says she is the victim of identity theft four months after a University of Arizona Medical Center-South employee posted a workplace photo on Facebook that inadvertently included a computer screen with the woman’s personal information. The photo was removed after 30 minutes when a manager noticed the violation. The hospital’s privacy officer was notified of the incident, as was the patient. The woman recently notified the police after someone used her personal information to apply for food stamps. She also retained a lawyer, saying the incident has “been a nightmare,” that she is afraid to be home, and her life is at stake. Not to diminish the seriousness of the violation, but I can probably think of one or two things more nightmarish and life threatening than a breach of my PHI.
- RazorInsights’ ONE Ambulatory EHR achieves ONC certification and secures 2011 compliance as a Complete EHR.
- EDCO Health Information Solutions will present a session on point of care medical records scanning at next week’s AHIMA Product World meeting in Atlanta.
- T-System names six winners of its fourth annual T-System Client Excellence Awards, which recognize emergency care facilities and physician groups that effectively use T-System solutions to improve clinical, financial, and operational outcomes.
- Emdeon will add full-color printing capabilities for printed communications to its Payment Network during the first quarter of 2014.
- Clinicians at Georgetown Hospital System share how their use of Aventura has saved them time and increased productivity and job satisfaction.
- A local paper profiles Jones & Sciortino Orthopedics (MO) and its use of eClinicalWorks to achieve Meaningful Use.
- Clinicians with Mercy and HealthEast Care System (MN) share how the use of Humedica’s clinical analytics platform from Optum have provided their organizations with health insights to improve treatment outcomes, care coordination, and quality.
- Information analysis firm IHS ranks Perceptive Software’s Acuo VNA the world’s market share leader among independent software vendors with 42.3 percent of total studies managed.
- Chilmark Research recognizes Medicity as a top-tier HIE vendor in its 2013 evaluation of the HIE market.
- HIStalk sponsors earning a spot on Capterra’s Top EHR Software list include: eClinicalWorks, McKesson, Allscripts, e-MDs, NextGen, NueMD, Vitera, and ADP AdvancedMD.
- Beacon Partners hosts a webinar on the steps healthcare organizations should take to form a patient-centered medical home.
- Quantros demonstrates the QPrecision release of its safety event management solution at next week’s ASHRM Annual Conference in Austin, TX.
- VitalWare embeds Atigeo’s xPatterns Clinical Auto-Coding into its CDiDocuMint application.
- CommVault introduces a content-based retention solution that enables enterprises to reduce storage requirements by keeping only data that is important to the business.
- MModal releases the Fluency Flex Mobile app for iPhones, allowing doctors to record clinical notes during patient encounters for integration within EHRs.