Home » Headlines » Currently Reading:

Morning Headlines 5/8/13

May 7, 2013 Headlines No Comments

McKesson 4th-Quarter Net Down 50% Amid Lower Revenue, Higher Costs

McKesson reports a fourth quarter profit of $259 million, down from $521 million a year earlier. Revenue was down 3.4 percent, missing analysts’ expectations. The technology solutions sector saw revenue increase 6.2 percent over the year, with a gross annual revenue of $913 million. Stock ended flat on the day and was up 1.5 percent in after hours trading.

A Bold New Vision for Meditech

John Halamka, MD, CIO of BIDMC, reports his initial impression of plans for Meditech 6.1 which he says will be a cloud-hosted system based on standards, Web-centric and mobile-enabled, with both inpatient and outpatient capabilities, complete with analytics, a PHR, and care management tools.

The discriminatory cost of ICD-10-CM transition between clinical specialties: metrics, case study, and mitigating tools

A study published in JAMIA finds that transitioning to ICD-10 will be difficult and disproportionately costly to specialists. The study found that only 60 percent of ICD-9 codes have a direct ICD-10 equivalent, while the other 40 percent will require clarification.

UCSF Creates Center for Digital Health Innovation, Names Director to Lead It

UC San Francisco will create a Center for Digital Health Innovation to lead the institution away from "disease-based treatment approaches" and toward "individualized precision medicine." The new Center will be run by UCSF Medical Center CMIO Michael Blum, MD.

Raleigh clinic says X-rays were stolen, may have included patient information

A Raleigh, NC clinic alerts patients that X-rays were stolen and patient information may have been compromised when a sham scanning and archiving company stole the x-rays for their silver content and then disappeared.

View/Print Text Only View/Print Text Only


HIStalk Featured Sponsors

     







Subscribe to Updates

Search


Loading

Text Ads


Report News and Rumors

No title

Anonymous online form
E-mail
Rumor line: 801.HIT.NEWS

Tweets

Archives

Founding Sponsors


 

Platinum Sponsors


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Gold Sponsors


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Reader Comments

  • Vaporware?: JTR, Cerner is re-tooling itself from a software company (sic) into a service company. The company needs a place to put ...
  • Dave Butler: Many similar issues that I've found as well during my time with provider groups. The EHRs screen can be really busy and ...
  • Justa Trench Rat: Nice to see Cerner continuing with their new campus. I am sure our implementation of their highly questionable revenue ...
  • FRANK POGGIO: Shows to go ya...answering black and white Jeopardy questions is a far cry from the massive grey area of medicine/pharma...
  • Number Cruncher: You are right AC. The cost is seriously underestimated here. Just looking at the numbers - $1 B for 5 years = $200 M ...
  • Abraham Van Helsing: Re Theranos. Will be interesting to follow the saga. As I and others had noted going back 2+ years, something was obvi...
  • Prof. Moriarty: Re: Watson pull out. I've not been directly involved with this product, but from its beginning I have always seen Watso...
  • mih: Of course they can, and for much much cheaper. But why would they do it? Existing arrangement works for everyone in the ...
  • Andrew M. Harrison: Thanks for (actually) reading our paper. I enjoyed the story of your friend, as well as the translation of numbers to em...
  • Mike: I would love to see this type of discussion around Blockchain. It is being hyped heavily currently. Yet, I wonder how we...

RSS Industry Events

  • An error has occurred, which probably means the feed is down. Try again later.

Sponsor Quick Links