The market for anesthesia information systems is predicted to increase 50% by 2012 and be valued at $4 billion by 2017. Vendors battling for market share include Picis, GE Healthcare, Draeger, IMDsoft, Merge, and Philips.
From Baywatch: “Re: UCSF. The CIO is leaving involuntarily. Looks like the board finally figured out that the Centricity debacle was as much of a leadership problem as a software problem. The Epic project is floundering and bleeding money, with poor direction and an incompetent staff.” We asked a UCSF press contact, who replied: “Mark R. Laret, CEO of the UCSF Medical Center, today announced that ‘Last Friday, CIO Larry Lotenero notified me that he will retire at the end of June, completing 10 years of service to UCSF.’”
From TopCrush: “Re: AAOE meeting. I’m at the American Association of Orthopaedic Executives in Orlando this week, along with a few hundred other folks and about sixty exhibitors. ACOs are definitely a concern for these guys. Orthopedic docs are scared of being left out and worried about the financial ramifications. Kind of funny but they have a VIP entrance for participants that have been coming for years or on a chapter board. AAOE set up a fun Sports Lounge in the middle of the show floor – shuffle board and fuse ball included.” Thanks for the update from the field. I wish I had a special door I could walk through every once in awhile, just to make me feel more important.
HIStalk Announcements and Requests
Mr. H semi-left me on my own tonight, just in case you were wondering why there are fewer smoking doctor images that usual. Mrs. H deserves a date night every once in awhile and I hope he is taking her somewhere special.
Community Health Network (IN) appoints Ronald Strachan CIO. Strachan is the former CIO for WellStar Health System and for HealthEast Care System.
Shared Health names Hedge Burt VP of sales. Burt has served as SVP of business development with Entrada, as well as VP of provider sales for Kryptiq.
PACSGEAR names Eli Rapaich CEO. Rapaich succeeds company co-founder Brian J. Cavanaugh, who will assume the role of COO. Most recently Rapaich served as VP of sales at Philips Healthcare.
Announcements and Implementations
The DoD awards SAIC a $53 million contract to provide IT and EHR system support to the TRICARE Management Activity MHS.
Gulf Coast Medical Center (FL) will move to Epic EMR next month.
CMS notifies Jefferson Regional Medical Center (AR) that it has met Stage One Meaningful Use requirements and will receive approximately $3 million. Jefferson uses Allscripts’ Sunrise Clinical Manager EHR.
Catholic Health Initiatives selects Beryl to provide outsourced patient experience solutions, including physician referral services.
Hospital EHR vendor eCareSoft, the US subsidiary of Mexico’s largest HIT vendor, embeds task-oriented tutorials and collaborative e-learning tools into its application. Hospital users can share shortcuts and workarounds and provide feedback to the vendor’s support team right from the application.
Trinity Health (MI), Baycare Health (FL), and Jackson Health System (FL) go live on the LegacySuite solution from Legacy Data Access. LegacySuite provides data storage and Web-based solutions for retired HIT applications.
The Federal Health Architecture (FHA) awards CGI Group a one year contract for $5.7 million to support FHA’s CONNECT NHIE Gateway solution.
Swedish Medical Center (WA) picks PRISM contact management software from Aegis Health Group to automate its physician relations management process.
Jefferson County Hospital (MS) selects Custom Software Systems to provide ChartSmart EMR, document management, and lab modules.
Texas Health Resources, where Ed Marx serves as CIO, receives over $19.5 million in Medicare EHR incentive payments for the meaningful use of its Epic system. THR has invested more than $200 million on its EHR initiative.
Innovation and Research
A new study concludes there’s no consistent association between EHRs and clinical decision support in ambulatory patient visits. Researchers looked at data from 2005-2007 so perhaps newer decision support tools might paint a different picture. However, only one of 20 indicators showed superior quality with EHR visits versus non-EHR visits.
The video above is from St. John’s Regional Medical Center in Joplin, MO, heavily damaged after taking a direct hit from a tornado. Its 183 patients were evacuated, but five patients and a visitor died and several employees were injured. Hospital x-rays were found 70 miles away, with the hospital asking anyone finding hospital records to hold them while they figure out a way to collect them. Missouri’s disaster medical team has set up a makeshift 30-bed hospital in a tent, staffed by 40 doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and support staff.
Health IT ranks among the top 10 most popular career path for college graduates, according to a University of CA-San Diego study. Top jobs include healthcare integration engineers, system analysts, clinical IT consultants, and technology support specialists.
- DIVURGENT will host a CHIME College Live session June 8th entitled Accountable Care Organizations: Overview and the Role of Information Technology.
- Thomson Reuters’ Meaningful Use Quality Manager 1.0 earns ONC-ATCB modular certification from CCHIT.
- Voalte signs up to resell the Epocrates Essentials premium clinical suite with Voalte’s communications solution.
- CynergisTek CEO Mac MacMillian and Ohio Presbyterian Retirement Services CIO Joyce Miller-Evans will present at the Colorado Health Information Management Association’s Long Term Care Spring Meeting this week.
- Geisinger Health System (PA) picks Orion Health Rhapsody Integration Engine as its integration platform.
- Vocera CEO Bob Zollars is named a finalist for the Ernst & Young Entrepreneur Of The Year award for Northern California.
- The Redwood Falls City Council (MN) approves the $50,000 purchase of Provation software for the Redwood Area Hospital. The hospital will interface the software with its Meditech EMR.
- Awarepoint is awarded a patent for its wireless interaction-based tracking system.
- MED3OOO announces the general availability of InteGreat V6.4, which includes the components required to meet Meaningful Use standards.
- University Hospitals Bristol NHS Foundation Trust implements Imprivata OneSign for its 5,100 users.
- Baylor Health Care System (TX) affirms its plans to implement GE Centricity EMR across its entire HealthTexas Provider Network of more than 500 physicians.
- Prime Healthcare Services (CA) expands its rollout of FormFast document management technology to its recently acquired facility, Alvarado Hospital.
- BridgeHead Software celebrates the 10th anniversary of its partnership with MEDITECH.
- Lakeland Healthcare (MI) selects the ChartMaxx Epic integration package to integrate their physicians’ ChartMaxx EMR with the health system’s Epic program.