"Still, there’s often confusion about who is caring for the patient ... " Playing off of Jimmy the Greek's comment,…
Allscripts closes the sale of its hospital and large practice software business to Constellation Software’s subsidiary N. Harris.
HIStalk Announcements and Requests
Welcome to new HIStalk Platinum Sponsor Global Healthcare Exchange. Founded in 2000, GHX pioneered healthcare’s largest cloud-based supply chain network, which today connects tens of thousands of healthcare organizations across the globe. The network represents healthcare providers operating more than 80% of licensed beds in the US and suppliers representing more than 85% of the medical-surgical products used in healthcare delivery. With the support of GHX, healthcare organizations have removed billions of dollars of wasteful healthcare spend. Over the last two decades, GHX has continued innovating alongside a passionate community of healthcare providers, suppliers, distributors, and other industry stakeholders, all united around a common purpose: to simplify the patient-centered business of healthcare to improve outcomes. The company’s passion for uniting the best of healthcare is driven by a powerful vision: create a viable and sustainable future for healthcare by arming organizations with the data, insights, and technology they need to thrive in healthcare’s value-based future, where patients are at the heart of every decision. GHX believes that by empowering organizations to move beyond process efficiency, and toward efficiency of outcomes, organizations will thrive and the vision of a viable and sustainable future for healthcare will become a reality. Thanks to GHX for supporting HIStalk.
Acquisitions, Funding, Business, and Stock
Cerner reports Q1 results: revenue up 4%, adjusted EPS $0.93 versus $0.78, meeting earnings expectations but falling short on revenue.
Configo Health, a startup that has developed benchmarking analytics for pediatric hospitals, raises $2 million in a seed funding round.
Plug-and-play virtual care software developer Capable Health raises $6 million in seed funding. Its technology allows developers to launch digital clinics.
Kidney care-focused analytics and population health management vendor Healthmap Solutions raises $35 million, bringing its total funding to $136 million.
Online pharmacy Truepill stops filling Adderall and Vyanse prescriptions as online mental health companies such as Cerebral and Don Health raise concerns about overprescribing. Major drug chains such as Walmart and CVS have also reportedly delayed or declined to fill such prescriptions.
The American College of Physicians and the American Telemedicine Association will develop a framework for assessing digital health technologies that are used by providers and consumers. The US-focused framework covers privacy and security, clinical assurance and safety, and usability.
- Rochester Regional Health (NY) will incorporate TytoCare’s telemedicine software and hardware into its virtual care services.
- University of Michigan Health will use analytics from Loopback Analytics to improve its specialty pharmacy program.
OncoHealth promotes Jennifer Haas to chief marketing officer.
Divurgent names Ed Marx (The HCI Group) CEO. He replaces founder Colin Konschak, who will become executive chairman.
Lynne Nowak, MD (Evernorth) joins Lark Health as chief medical officer.
IKS Health hires Ben Crocker, MD (Massachusetts General Hospital) as SVP of care design and innovation.
Stan Opstad, MBA (Inovalon) joins Zipari as chief product officer.
Announcements and Implementations
Audubon County Memorial Hospital & Clinics (IA) staff will implement Epic this week.
Jefferson Radiology goes live on Philips Collaboration Live for diagnostic tele-ultrasound, allowing remote radiologists to connect virtually with patients during their imaging appointments to provide a diagnosis, answer questions, or request additional imaging from the sonographer.
Consumer-focused healthcare wearables company Withings launches enterprise remote patient monitoring devices and software for patients and providers.
Personal ECG app vendor AliveCor launches KardiaComplete, a remote personal monitoring and virtual cardiologist service for people with hypertension and arrhythmias, sold through employers and payers.
Government and Politics
Winn Army Community Hospital at Fort Stewart in Georgia will go live on Cerner next month as part of the DoD’s continued wave of MHS Genesis roll-outs.
VA Secretary Denis McDonough says the agency will continue rolling out its new Cerner software despite five recent outages that have caused some lawmakers to call for a halt to implementations. The VA’s Central Ohio Healthcare System in Columbus went live on the EHR over the weekend. McDonough said he is “very concerned about the execution of the program to date” and added that the first of the downtimes was so “egregious” that Cerner CEO David Feinberg, MD, MDA issued a signed apology.
Privacy and Security
Virtual chronic care management and remote patient monitoring startup MyNurse notifies users of a March data breach, adding that it will cease operations at the end of the month for unrelated reasons.
Good Samaritan Medical Center Director Amy Travland reminds staff to print their names and avoid abbreviations when paper charting during downtime, referring to a cybersecurity incident last week. Good Samaritan was one of two Tenet Healthcare facilities in Florida that took systems offline as a result of the breach.
Cardiologists express concern that tens of millions of consumer devices that can issue atrial fibrillation warnings will consume doctor time and healthcare expense to confirm or rule out a diagnosis, all for uncertain benefit. Symptom-free patients will have medical-grade monitors attached for days and then potentially have expensive anticoagulants prescribed that can cause side effects. One cardiologist said that tech companies introduced such alerting “because they could” and said that doctors are trying to catch up to the “test doctors didn’t order.”
Mozilla finds that of 32 mental health and prayer apps it reviewed, 28 raise strong data management concerns and 25 fail to meet minimum security standards. Mozilla’s lead privacy expert called the apps “exceptionally creepy” and that the companies that offer them are “negligent and craven.” The biggest offers named are Better Help, Youper, Woebot, Better Stop Suicide, Pray.com, and Talkspace.
Authorities in Venezuela arrest Jose Lopez for working at several healthcare facilities with fake medical credentials. His crime came to light after several women became pregnant after he had supposedly implanted them with subdermal contraceptive coils. He had, in fact, implanted lollipop sticks.
- AdvancedMD Director of Sales Operations Carla Huggard wins a Utah Women in Sales Award.
- Actium Health publishes a new report, “State of Patient Engagement in 2022.”
- Baker Tilly will sponsor the Maryland HIMSS 10th Annual Golf Tournament May 9 in Valley.
- Bamboo Health will exhibit at the Skilled Nursing Clinical Executive Conference May 5 in Chicago.
- CHIME posts a podcast titled “Filling the Talent Pipeline” with guest Geoff Blanding, EVP of Optimum Healthcare IT.
- Cerner releases a new podcast, “Combatting clinician burnout.”
- GHX names 80 provider and supplier organizations to its Millennium Club that have achieved the highest levels of supply chain automation through the GHX Exchange.
- CTG will sponsor the AWS Summit Atlanta May 18-19.
- Divurgent names Andrew Wells (McCormack Plastic Surgery) senior director of business development.
- Change Healthcare will work with Luma Health to develop new patient engagement solutions that unify clinical, operational, and financial touchpoints.
- The Iowa Hospital Association will offer its members access to ChartSpan’s chronic care management services.
- Experian Health, PatientKeeper, ManpowerGroup, CereCore, Change Healthcare, CloudWave, Dimensional Insight, Ellkay, Elsevier, FDB, Healthcare Triangle, Intelligent Medical Objects, Interbit Data, Intrado, Nuance, OBIX Perinatal Data Systems by Clinical Computer Systems, Sphere, Tegria, and Meditech will exhibit at the MUSE Inspire Conference May 15-18 in Dallas.
- Three Pillars of Single-Path Coding (AGS Health)
- More meaningful care through data (Arcadia)
- Healthcare Technology Can Drive the Fourth Industrial Revolution (Ascom)
- How Azara DRVS Supports Behavioral Health Services (Azara Healthcare)
- GHX Announces Upcoming GHX Summit 2022 Highlights (GHX)
- Leadership – What Does it Really Mean? (CHIME)
- Tips to Effectively Fund Your Enterprise Cyber Risk Management Program (ECRM) (Clearwater)
- The Link Between EHR Satisfaction and Clinician Burnout (Dimensional Insight)
- Managing Post-Acute Care: A Critical Success Factor for ACOs (Dina)
- Insights and Takeaways from the 2022 Internet 2.0 Conference (Divurgent)
- Who are the 29 Million Americans Who Use Health Centers? (EClinicalWorks)