Healthcare governance systems vendor Symplr will acquire clinician digital communications vendor Halo Health.
Previous Symplr acquisitions include HealthcareSource HR, SpinFusion, The Patient Safety Company, Vistar Technologies, Hayes, TractManager, IntelliSoft, API Healthcare, CBR Associates, Cactus Software, and Phynd.
Clearlake Capital acquired Symplr in late 2018.
From Inquiring CIO: “Re: HIMSS attendee lists. I’m tired of companies using them to mine sales leads. I’ve emailed HIMSS, but haven’t received a reply. I’m not sure where companies are getting the contact info of conference registrants, but it’s a deterrent to attending.” Inquiring CIO forwarded two emails, both of which contain scammy elements. Email #1 is from someone offering to sell a list of 45,678 HIMSS20 attendees (an oddly linear number series which technically should be zero given that the conference was cancelled) for $1,999. Email #2 is from a business development guy in India-based company who used “HIMSS conference” in their subject line and content to make a technology sales pitch. The company was not a HIMSS exhibitor. I emailed the originator, but as I expected, received no reply. I contacted HIMSS, which reiterated that (a) it doesn’t sell attendee lists, and anyone who offers one is lying and probably is just dumping a bunch of old, inaccurate industry lists together and claiming they came from an official source; and (b) while HIMSS rents attendee lists to exhibitors for short-term use immediately before and after a conference, the company in Email #2 was not an exhibitor (I pondered the irony that perhaps Company #2 bought their list from Company #1). HIMSS says its legal team would love to have a conversation with Company #2 about its use of the HIMSS name if Inquiring CIO approves.
September 16 (Thursday) 1 ET. “Patient Acquisition and Retention: The Future of Omnichannel Virtual Assistants.” Sponsor: Orbita. Presenters: Harris Hunt, SVP growth product, Cancer Treatment Centers of America; Patty Riskind, MBA, CEO, Orbita; Nathan Treloar, MSc, co-founder and COO, Orbita. Consumers want the same digital healthcare experience from healthcare that they get in online shopping, banking, and booking reservations, and the pandemic has ramped up the patient and provider need for frictionless access to healthcare resources and services. Health systems can improve patient acquisition and retention with the help of omnichannel virtual assistants that engage and delight. Discover how to open and enhance healthcare’s digital front door to offer care that goes beyond expectations.
September 16 (Thursday) 1 ET. “ICD-10-CM 2022 Updates and Regulatory Readiness.” Sponsor: Intelligent Medical Objects. Presenters: June Bronnert, MSHI, RHIA, VP global clinical services, IMO; Theresa Rihanek, MHA, RHIA, mapping manager, IMO; Julie Glasgow, MD, clinical terminologist, IMO. IMO’s top coding professionals and thought leaders will discuss the coding changes in the yearly update to allow your organization to prepare for a smooth transition and avoid negative impacts to the bottom line. The presenters will review new, revised, and deleted codes; highlight revisions to ICD-10-CM index and tabular; discuss changes within Official Coding Guidelines, and review modifier changes.
October 6 (Wednesday) 2 ET. “Solving Patient Experience Challenges Through a Strong Digital Front Door.” Sponsor: Avtex. Presenters: Mike Pietig, VP of healthcare experience, Avtex; Jamey Shiels, MBA, VP of consumer experience, Advocate Aurora Health; Chad Thorpe, care ambassador, DispatchHealth. Patients expect healthcare providers to offer them the same digital experience they get when banking, shopping, and traveling. This webinar will describe how two leading healthcare providers created digital front doors that exceed patient expectations, improve patient outcomes, drive loyalty and acquisition, and future-proof their growth strategies in competitive markets.
October 6 (Wednesday) 1 ET. “A New, Streamlined Approach to Documentation and Problem List Management in Cerner Millennium.” Sponsor: Intelligent Medical Objects. Presenters: Deepak Pillai, MD, physician informaticist, IMO; David Arco, product manager, IMO; Nicole Douglas, senior product marketing manager, IMO. The IMO Core CSmart app, which is available for Cerner Millennium in the Cerner code App Gallery, helps providers document with specificity, make problem lists more meaningful, and improve HCC coding. This webinar will review the challenges and bottlenecks of clinical documentation and problem list management and discuss how streamlined workflows within Cerner Millennium can help reduce clinician HIT burden.
Acquisitions, Funding, Business, and Stock
Patient engagement and activation company SymphonyRM rebrands to Actium Health.
App-based house call and telemedicine company Remedy pivots and rebrands as CareHive, which offers telemedicine, digital front door services, analytics, and clinical navigation. Remedy laid off 82 employees last November, many of whom were hired during the previous summer’s peak of COVID-19 patients. Remedy Chief Medical Officer Ronald Dixon, MD has been promoted to CEO of the new company.
Edifecs acquires Talix, which has developed a natural language processing-enabled risk adjustment coding, retrieval, and analytics platform for providers and payers.
Digital maternity care software vendor Babyscripts raises $12 million in a Series B funding round.
Healthcare payments platform vendor Zelis will acquire provider search and transparency website Sapphire Digital.
HC1 founder, chairman, and CEO Brad Bostic launches a $200 million SPAC that hopes to merge with a healthcare data science company.
- Legacy Health (OR) selects Simplifi 797 automated cleanroom compliance technology from Wolters Kluwer Health.
- Oroville Hospital (CA) will implement CliniComp’s fetal surveillance and fetal mobile technologies.
- Saina Health integrates Sphere’s healthcare payments and security software with its InstaHealth medical record portal for multiple family members.
- Health Choice Network chooses Epic for its 44 safety net organizations in 16 states in a $400 million deal.
CitiusTech names Atul Soneja (Infosys) president of operations.
UC San Diego Health promotes CIO Christopher Longhurst, MD to chief medical officer and chief digital officer.
Verato promotes Arti Pandit to chief customer experience officer and names Mark Erwich (Imprivata) chief marketing officer.
B. Well Connected Health hires Gary Johnson (Atlas Health) as VP of marketing and Romy Carlson, MBA (League Inc.) as VP of partnerships.
Announcements and Implementations
Divurgent develops a Concierge Scheduling Application that gives end users the ability to schedule one-on-one personalization sessions as part of their EHR training.
Powell Valley Healthcare (WY) goes live on Cerner.
Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center develops real-time data-sharing software for medical teams and case workers that will be commercialized by Cordata Healthcare Innovations.
EHealth Exchange will award up to $550,000 in grants and incentives to its participants or eligible applicants that are innovating in the exchange of health information or establishing new technical advancements in connectivity.
Leidos will use Nuance’s Mix conversational AI development platform to create digital patient engagement solutions for health systems and federal healthcare agencies. Nuance Mix allows organizations to create conversational experiences for interactive voice response and chatbot systems.
Government and Politics
Bloomberg reports that the VA has issued an RFP for a $1 billion remote patient monitoring – home telehealth contract.
Privacy and Security
In Canada, The Ottawa Hospital apologizes to 391 employees for a software error that caused their names to be visible on an email that was sent to unvaccinated employees ahead of the October 5 mandatory vaccination date.
Children’s Hospital & Medical Center (NE) will pay $80,000 and take corrective actions to settle potential HIPAA violations related to its failure to provide timely access to all of a patient’s medical records despite multiple requests.
- CereCore sponsors the American College of Healthcare Executives – Middle Tennessee Chapter’s annual golf outing benefitting Mercy Community Healthcare.
- The Tech Trek Podcast features Well Health CTO Thor Clark.
- Impact Advisors publishes a white paper titled “Achieving Sustainable Value from ERP.”
- Agfa HealthCare achieves the new European Medical Device Regulation certification of its Class IIa Enterprise Imaging and Xero Viewer solutions.
- The Data Masters Podcast features Arcadia Chief Product Officer Nick Stepro, “The Role Empathy Plays in Data Visualization.”
- Clearwater founder and Executive Chairman Bob Chaput publishes a new book, “Stop the Cyber Bleeding: What Healthcare Executives and Board Members Must Know About Enterprise Cyber Risk Management.”
- CoverMyMeds Pod Lead Eda Erkal and Kitchen Manager, Campus Operations Shey Jin join the Leadership Columbus Signature Program Class of 2022.
- Kyruus expands its ProviderMatch online scheduling platform to allow consumers to self-book diagnostic and preventive care appointments, and customers to offer online booking for COVID-19 booster shots.
- OptimizeRx adds a Therapy Initiation Workflow to its point-of-care medication prescription platform.
- Overcoming quarantine to serve patients in a mental health crisis with telehealth (Ability Network)
- Agfa HealthCare earns #1 customer experience for VNA (Agfa HealthCare)
- Women’s Health: Reporting on a Continuum to Reduce Inequalities and Improve Outcomes (Azara Healthcare)
- Different Types of Virtual Care (Bluestream)
- Shared Care Records bringing health and care closer together (Cerner)
- Medication Management & Patient-Centered Care Coordination Across the Continuum: A Thought Leadership Roundtable (CHIME)
- Reduced to the Essentials – AI/ML Can Wait (Cloudwave)
- Navigating the Wild West of Clinical Data – RISE West 2021 (Diameter Health)
- Covid Care-at-Home: Respond to Surging Cases & Limited Beds (Dina)
- Preparing for the 2021 Virtual National Conference (EClinicalWorks)
- 4 ways to strengthen digital patient access (Experian Health)