Atul Gawande, MD taps Jack Stoddard to be COO of the still unnamed joint healthcare venture of Amazon, Berkshire Hathaway, and JPMorgan. Stoddard was formerly general manager of digital health at Comcast, where he devoted some of his time to developing digital patient engagement and education tools for a (presumably defunct) program with Independence Blue Cross. Stoddard’s time in the healthcare trenches also includes stints at Comcast-backed Accolade and Optum.
From Savoy Special: “Re: Medhost’s customer count. Down to 180 hospitals? That number cannot be correct since they still have their platform in most of the 119 CHS hospitals, plus a large number of LifePoint, Acadia, and Select hospitals. Plus they recently won a multi-entity deal at the end of last year. And then there is all of their EDIS business. The Curae bankruptcy was not unexpected. There was actually a lot of buzz about Medhost at Health:Further18.”
Acquisitions, Funding, Business, and Stock
Global technology services company Persistent Systems acquires Herald Health for $5.2 million. Herald’s software helps surface relevant EHR data in real time across hospital departments. The Boston-based startup came out of Brigham and Women’s Hospital (MA), which, through its Partners HealthCare network, tapped Persistent last year to develop a SMART on FHIR digital platform for sharing best clinical practices.
Redox raises $3 million, bringing its total raised to $18 million since launching in 2014.
Medication risk management vendor Tabula Rasa Healthcare acquires EHR vendor Mediture and its third-party administrative services subsidiary EClusive for $22 million. Both cater to Program of All-inclusive Care for the Elderly markets. The businesses will be incorporated into Tabula Rasa’s new PACE-focused CareVention HealthCare technology and services division.
Following in Apple’s footsteps, Amazon momentarily hits the $1 trillion mark during day trading, focusing analyst’s eyes even more eagerly on its push into healthcare. The Internet retailer went public in 1997 at $18 a share, a figure that has skyrocketed to $2,050 and made founder and CEO Jeff Bezos the world’s richest man with a net worth of $167 billion.
Patrick McGill (Community Health Network) will join primary care management company Primaria Health as CEO in December.
Announcements and Implementations
Greenville Health System (SC) goes live on Agfa Healthcare’s enterprise imaging system.
The Brooklyn Hospital Center (NY) implements Epic at its ambulatory sites.
Following on-campus protests and obvious malcontent amongst its staff, Providence Hospital management fires the majority of its Board of Directors via email after tensions mount around parent organization Ascension’s decision to stop offering acute care services at the hospital by the end of year as part of its transition to a “health village.” (It announced it would close its obstetrics and behavioral health departments last August.) A former board member claims a vote on the acute-care decision was snuck in at the end of a regular meeting, after several other members had already left. Ascension claims the shuttering will better enable Providence to focus on “care coordination, telehealth/virtual care, primary and urgent care, home care, community-based behavioral healthcare, senior care, and more.”
In Australia, Victoria’s Dept. of Health and Human Services begins migrating 12,000 users from Lotus Notes to Office 365. Lotus Notes was first implemented in 1998, making the number of applications that have been spawned around it too numerous to die a quick death.
Researchers develop an iPhone app capable of measuring blood pressure with the press of a finger. Readings were found to be similar to those from traditional blood pressure cuffs.
The Cincinnati business paper profiles Cincinnati Children’s Hospital surgeon Victor Garcia, MD and the predictive analytics software he has developed with Israeli researchers to stave off shock in ICU patients.
- AdvancedMD publishes a new e-guide, “In or Out-Source: Your Value-Based Care (VBC) Revenue Cycle Management.”
- Aprima will exhibit at the Patient-Centered Medical Home Congress September 14-15 in San Diego.
- Gartner recognizes Arcadia as a representative vendor across five categories in its latest report, “Healthcare Payer CIOs, Leverage Vendor Partners to Succeed at Clinical Data Integration.”
- The University of Wisconsin-Madison profiles Bluetree Network founder Ted Gurman’s work with the Madison Entrepreneur Resource, Learning, and Innovation Network.
- Datica will present and exhibit at HITRUST 2018 September 11-13 in Grapevine, TX.
- The Chicago Tribune profiles Burwood Group Senior Director of Sales and Marketing (and Renaissance man) Greg Bueltmann.
- CarePort Health will exhibit at ACMA New York September 8 in New York City.
- Carevive Systems will exhibit at the 2018 ACS Cancer Programs Annual Conference September 5-7 in Chicago.
- Collective Medical partners with the Hospital Council of Northern and Central California.
- CoverMyMeds will present at the CBI Hub and SPP Model Optimization event September 12-13 in San Diego.
- CTG will present at the Patient-Centered Medical Home Congress September 14-15 in San Diego.
- Cumberland Consulting Group will sponsor the HealthCare Executive Group Annual Forum September 12-14 in Minneapolis.
- The Connecticut Technology Council and Marcum LLP include Diameter Health on their list of the fastest-growing technology companies in Connecticut.
- Yuma Regional Medical Center (AZ) expands its use of Vocera technology to include its entire enterprise.
- Long-time Meditech customer DCH Health System (AL) will implement the company’s Expanse EHR across select hospitals and clinics.
- Genomic medicine marks a new era for health care. Here are the 3 questions pharmacy leaders should ask – and answers they need. (Advisory Board)
- 3 Reasons Why IT Implementations Fail (Casenet)
- Another Success Story: Crossings’ Insulin Management Advisors (Crossings Healthcare Solutions)
- AHIP CEO Matt Eyles on Value-Based Care and Evolving Healthcare IT (Change Healthcare)
- How Risk Screening Ultimately Reduces Overall Health Costs & Improves Results (ChartLogic)
- Five Takeaways from the Xavier AI Summit (CTG)
- 7 Ways to Make the Most of LinkedIn in 2018 (Direct Consulting Associates)
- 4 Reasons Why You Need to Upgrade Your ERP (Optimum Healthcare IT)