Mayo Clinic goes live on Epic at its Rochester, MN campus as part of a $1.5 billion system-wide software overhaul that will bring all of its facilities onto a single platform. Preparation for the big-bang event on May 5 was so extensive that the local power company created a new substation to power it.
Mayo has already implemented Epic at its facilities in Wisconsin and southern Minnesota, and expects to begin deployment at its hospitals in Florida and Arizona after the Rochester implementation is complete.
HIStalk Announcements and Requests
Recent privacy breaches have swayed the majority of reader interest in consumer genetic testing services, though the comments left don’t give me a good indication if they’ve been more swayed into not using these types of services. Wary Consumer points out that, “When you add to the privacy breaches the fact that Chinese companies have invested in the DNA companies and are now offshoring our genetic data, it should give all of us pause. Additionally, you’re paying for a service, so unlike free sites where you basically pay with your data, you’re basically paying twice, since you know they’re going to reuse or resell your data. It’s crazy that people don’t stop to consider this when clicking through end user agreements that they don’t read.” Steve’s interest has stayed the same – zilch. “Wasn’t interested before, still am not. People are so concerned with the risk that their credit card information might end up on line (when you can easily cancel a credit card). Some of these same people are more than willing to send in their DNA to be stored for years to come. How many hackers do we think are actively working to find their way into those databases?”
New poll to your right or here: Does connectivity to your EHR make you more or less likely to buy a Fitbit?
Here are reader responses to “What I Wish I’d Known Before … Firing Someone for Cause.” A lack of support, plus a tendency to tiptoe around tossing bad apples seem to be common themes.
I’m hoping Epic employees and others toiling in the Minnesota trenches of the Mayo Clinic will anonymously weigh in on this week’s question.
May 9 (Wednesday) 2:00 ET. “How to Make VBC Work for You: The Business Case to Transform Into the Health System of the Future.” Sponsor: Philips Wellcentive. Presenters: Mason Beard, co-founder and chief product officer, Philips Wellcentive; Scott Cullen, MD, principal, ECG Management Consulting; Seema Mathur, director of strategy, Sage Growth Partners. How well is your organization funding its transformation to VBC? This free webinar explains how to achieve ROI as your organization transforms to meet the future. You’ll learn how VBC is impacting healthcare system management, three strategies for funding your transformation, and what the healthcare system of the future will look like.
May 16 (Wednesday) 1:00 ET. “You Think You Might Want to Be a Consultant?” Sponsor: HIStalk. Presenter: Frank Poggio, CEO/president, The Kelzon Group. Maybe you just got caught in a big re-org and don’t like where things are headed, or, after almost a year of searching for a better opportunity your buddy says, “You’ve got decades of solid experience and you’re a true professional, you should become a healthcare IT consultant.” Now you start thinking, "This could be my ticket to success. I know the healthcare industry and can show people how to do things right. The sky’s the limit!" Not so fast. Consulting offers many advantages, and many pitfalls. This webinar will discuss both the rewards and the risks of moving into a full-time consulting role, as an independent, or part of a large firm. It will present a checklist you can apply to assess whether consulting is a good fit for you, and present the ground work necessary to be a successful consultant.
May 24 (Thursday) 1:00 ET. “Converting Consumers into Patients: Strategies for Creating Engaging Digital Experiences People Demand.” Sponsor: Healthwise. Presenters: Antonia Chappell, director of consumer solutions, Healthwise; Josh Schlaich, senior product manager, Healthwise. Nearly three-quarters of US adults use a digital channel to manage their health and the internet to track down health information. It’s clear that consumers have come to expect online interactions as an integral part of their overall patient experience. In fact, the Internet may be the first way people come in contact with your organization. They have more choice than ever on where to get healthcare services, and their decisions are increasingly influenced by how well organizations connect with them in the digital space. This webinar will show you how to create engaging digital and web experiences that convert casual consumers into patients and keep them satisfied throughout their entire patient journey.
June 5 (Tuesday) 1:00 ET. “Increase Referrals and Patient Satisfaction with a Smarter ‘Find a Doctor’ Web Search.” Sponsors: Phynd Technologies, Healthwise. Presenters: Joseph H. Schneider, MD, MBA, FAAP, retired SVP/CHIO, Indiana University Health; Keith Belton, VP of marketing, Phynd. A recent survey found that 84 percent of patients check a hospital’s website before booking an appointment. However, ‘Find a Doctor’ search functions often frustrate them because their matching functionality is primitive and the provider’s information is incomplete or outdated. Referring physicians need similarly robust tools to find the right specialist and to send the patient to the right location. Attendees of this webinar will learn how taxonomy-driven Provider Information Management improves patient and referrer satisfaction by intelligently incorporating the provider’s location, insurance coverage, specialty and subspecialty, and services offered that can be searched via patient-friendly terms.
Acquisitions, Funding, Business, and Stock
Berkshire Hathaway CEO Warren Buffett reiterates his commitment to the healthcare improvement project his company is launching with JPMorgan and Amazon. At Berkshire’s annual shareholders meeting, he reiterated that all three companies want their 1 million-plus employees to receive better care at lower costs, but didn’t get into specifics. He did mention that a CEO for the new venture will likely be placed within the next two months.
TeleTracking promotes Christopher Johnson to president.
David Nace, MD (Lantern) joins Innovaccer as CMO.
Announcements and Implementations
In the UK, the Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust joins TriNetX’s research network.
- Renown Health selects Phynd to synthesize, transform, and share provider information across its health network in Nevada.
- In Australia, the Victorian government allocates $124 million to implement Epic at three hospitals.
- Calvary Hospital (NY) will host their Meditech system on CloudWave’s OpSus Healthcare cloud.
- Massac Memorial Hospital (IL) selects Parallon Technology Solutions to implement and host its Meditech Expanse software.
- Holzer Medical Center (OH) will switch from Allscripts to Athenahealth in late May or early June.
- Kingman Regional Medical Center (AZ) will go live with Meditech supply chain management software in September.
- Crisp Regional Hospital (GA) will switch from Meditech to Cerner in 2019.
These provider-reported updates are supplied by Definitive Healthcare, which offers a free trial of its powerful intelligence on hospitals, physicians, and healthcare providers.
Government and Politics
New York City-based urgent care chain CityMD will pay $6.6 million to settle a civil fraud lawsuit filed by a whistleblower and the Manhattan US Attorney General’s Office. CityMD, which has 88 facilities, admitted to billing Medicare for procedures that weren’t as lengthy or complex as it claimed.
This article suggests that President Trump will meet with National Association of Veterans Affairs Physicians and Dentists President Samuel Spagnolo, MD to discuss his potential nomination for VA Secretary. Spagnolo is also a senior attending physician at the VA Medical Center in Washington, DC and a professor of medicine at George Washington University. He has served in numerous positions within the VA throughout his career.
The majority of respondents in a Reaction Data survey of 145 believe that Anthem’s decision to stop covering ER visits it deems unnecessary will have a negative impact on their organizations and patients, especially when it comes to out-of-pocket patient expenses and restricted clinical care.
- Medicity publishes a new perspective paper, “Interoperability 2.0: How to Consume, Organize and Share Health Data to Achieve Greater Value.”
- The New York State Psychiatric Association endorses DrFirst medication management tools for use by the psychiatric community in New York State.
- Mobile Heartbeat will present at the 2018 ANIA Conference May 12 in Orlando.
- Liaison Technologies is accepting applications for its fall semester 2018 Data-Inspired Future Scholarship.
- Meditech, PatientSafe Solutions, and PerfectServe will exhibit at the 2018 ANIA Annual Conference May 10-12 in Orlando.
- The National Council for Behavioral Health awards Netsmart the 2018 Mental Health First Aid Business Leadership Award.
- Clinical Computer Systems, developer of the Obix Perinatal Data System, will exhibit at the Allscripts Client Experience May 8-9 in Saskatchewan.
- OmniSys, Experian Health, and Surescripts will exhibit at the NCPDP Annual Technology & Business Conference May 7-9 in Scottsdale, AZ.
- Qventus and TriNetX exhibits at the HLTH 2018 conference through May 9 in Las Vegas.
- T-System partners with Precision Practice Management to develop the Complete Care clinical and business solution for urgent care providers.
- T-System exhibits at the 2018 UCAOA Urgent Care Convention & Expo through May 9 in Las Vegas.
- Heather Russell joins TransUnion as chief legal officer.
- Wellsoft will exhibit at the Annual Rural Health Conference May 8-11 in New Orleans.
- WiserTogether partners with digital health marketplace ZendyHealth.
- The local news profiles ZappRx.
- Consulting Magazine includes Impact Advisors VP Keith MacDonald in its list of top 25 advisors of 2018.
- GDPR (Learn on Demand Systems)
- Complying with GDPR and How Data Pseudonymization Can Help (Liaison Technologies)
- The ONE Thing That Patients Really, Really Want In Consumer-Driven Healthcare (LifeImage)
- End-to-End vs. Individual Solutions (Lightbeam Health Solutions)
- Why Silent Mobile Notification Is the Future of Hospital Communication Systems (LiveProcess)
- Why process improvement, technology and common sense are critical to patient safety (LogicStream Health)
- #1 Genetic Screening Company Migrates HIPAA Compliant Workloads to AWS (Logicworks)
- Medicaid Coverage – Good for Your Patients and Your Bottom Line (MedData)
- Strengthen Your Network Through Automated Appeals and Grievances (Medecision)
- Win the run for the roses with your revenue cycle (Navicure/Waystar)
- Experts in Home Health Give Thoughts and Advice for 2018 – Part VIII (Netsmart)
- Healthcare price transparency tools: Because costs shouldn’t be a guessing game (Experian Health)
- Recap: PatientPing Midwest Community Summit (PatientPing)
- Partnering for Improved Patient Care (PatientSafe Solutions)
- Stop Measuring the Wrong Thing (Patientco)
- Getting the Most Out of Your EHR (Pivot Point Consulting)
- How To Reduce Primary Non-Adherence to Medications (PatientKeeper)
- Creating the Real Time Health System (Qventus)
- The Wrinkly Policy of Integrating Social Determinants of Health Data (Redox)
- GDPR: What All Marketers Need to Know (Salesforce)
- Healthcare Artificial Intelligence Outlook: Benefits, Projected Growth & Challenges (The SSI Group)
- Are You a Client or a Customer to Your Vendor? (Summit Healthcare)
- Convergence of molecular diagnostics & anatomic pathology (Sunquest)
- A personal approach to end-user training. (Voalte)
- Inspire, Innovate, Influence: This Is How Nurses Lead (Vocera)
- A Training Revolution: Visage 7 Powers UF Health’s SIMulation (Visage Imaging)
- 6 Ways to be the Healthcare Partner Your Patients Want (WebPT)
- The technology factor in referral intelligence (Philips Wellcentive)
- Delivering on Consumer Expectations in the Age of Smart Speakers (Access)
- New Proposed CMS Rule – Improving Interoperability (Optimum Healthcare IT)