Advocate Health Care will replace Cerner and Allscripts with Epic as part of its merger with Epic-using Aurora Health Care, as speculated here ever since the merger – which will create the country’s 10th-largest health system — was announced in December 2017.
Advocate SVP/CIO Bobbie Byrne, MD, MBA said in a statement, “This transition will allow for better interoperability throughout our entire geographic region, benefiting patients through a seamless, integrated approach. We are confident this single-platform EHR will be a nimble, long-term solution that can be continually adapted and developed as technology advances to keep us on the leading edge.”
February 13 (Tuesday) 1:00 ET. “Beyond Sliding Scale: Closing the Gap Between Current and Optimal Glycemic Management Practices.” Sponsor: Monarch Medical Technologies. Presenter: Laurel Fuqua, BSN, MSN, EVP/chief clinical officer, Monarch Medical Technologies. The glycemic management practices of many hospitals and physician staff differ from what is overwhelmingly recommended by experts and relevant specialty societies. As a result, they are missing an opportunity to improve the quality, safety, and cost of care for their patients with diabetes and hyperglycemia, which commonly represent more than 25 percent of their inpatient population. Hospitals that transition from sliding-scale insulin regimens to consistent use of basal / bolus / correction protocols are seeing reductions in hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and costs. Making this shift more effective and efficient is the use of computerized insulin-dosing algorithms that can support dedicated staff using a systematic approach.
February 14 (Wednesday) 2:00 ET. “Time is Money: Aurora Health’s Journey of Implementing and Advancing Cost Accounting.” Sponsor: Strata Decision Technology. Presenter: Patrick Nolan, VP of finance, Aurora Health Care. Aurora Health Care’s implementation of Strata’s Decision Support module involved not only building an improved cost accounting model, but improving the process to engage a cross-functional team in cost development. It now has accurate, consistent cost data to support decision-making. Aurora’s next phase will be to use actual procedure and visit times to allocate costs. This presentation will provide a detailed view into both the implementation and future direction of the Strata Decision Support program within Aurora.
Acquisitions, Funding, Business, and Stock
Athenahealth reports Q4 results: revenue up 14 percent, EPS $1.11 vs. $0.62, beating expectations for both. Shares rose moderately in after-hours trading following the announcement.
McKesson announces Q3 results: revenue up 7 percent, adjusted EPS $3.41 vs. $3.04, beating expectations for both.
Meditech announces Q4 results: revenue up 11 percent, EPS $0.83 vs. $0.33. For the fiscal year, revenue increased 4 percent and net income rose 6 percent, although the December 2017 tax law changes reduced the company’s fiscal year taxes from $29 million to $19 million and thus heavily contributed to the increased earnings. Both numbers reverse a two-year downward trend. Product revenue jumped 21 percent year-over-year as service revenue dropped slightly.
Voalte gains $15 million in new capital from Silicon Valley Bank, bringing the 10 year-old company’s funding to just under $70 million.
Navicure and Zirmed name their newly merged companies Waystar.
Mineral Community Hospital (MT) replaces its four year-old NextGen system with Athenahealth.
Marshall Browning Hospital (IL) selects CloudWave’s OpSus Backup service.
Martin County Hospital District (TX) chooses Cerner, delivered via the company’s CommunityWorks hosted model.
North Carolina will become the 45th state to implement Appriss Health’s PMP InterConnect platform to share prescription drug monitoring program data across state lines.
In UAE, VPS Healthcare will implement the Tasy EMR from Philips. I’ve never heard of it, but Googling suggests that Philips acquired the Latin American-focused EHR in 2010 and started rolling it out in Europe last year.
William Gish (Cerner) joins Voalte as COO.
DocuTap names Robert Rueckl (Edementum) CFO and Jared Linsby (PointClear Solutions) SVP of sales.
Vibrent Health names James Wade, MD (Inova Schar Cancer Institute) CMIO.
Allscripts promotes interim CFO Dennis Olis to the permanent position.
PatientPoint hires Dan Owens (EVerifile) as CTO, Scott Schemmel (Ciner Resources) a EVP of IT, and promotes Kimberly Thiess to COO.
Announcements and Implementations
In Saudi Arabia, Johns Hopkins Aramco Healthcare goes live on Epic.
Government and Politics
Former CDC Director Brenda Fitzgerald, MD denies that she resigned because of newly uncovered tobacco stock sales and instead attributes her resignation to a tangled web of financial conflicts — including investments in Greenway Health – that she couldn’t get out of easily.
Yale New Haven Hospital (CT) works with Epic to design a Capacity Command Center that uses dashboards to display real-time insight into patient volume, staffing, and environmental services.
Privacy and Security
Fresenius Medical Care North America will pay $3.5 million to settle HIPAA violations related to five separate breach incidents that happened in early 2012. HHS OCR found problems that include failure to conduct a risk assessment, improperly disclosing PHI, failing to develop policies to address security incidents, and improper movement of PHI-containing hardware and media.
Analysis verifies that 5 percent people who are commercially insured account for 53 percent of healthcare spending, but it’s not the same people year after year – 61 percent of them moved off the top spender list from 2014 to 2015. The takeaway: consumers who buy crappy health insurance (or none at all) because they think they’re healthy might get a big financial surprise, especially as ACA changes allow policies to be sold without pre-existing condition coverage or with newly reinstated lifetime caps.
CHIME decides to pick up the federal government’s slack and create an opioid task force that will attempt to come up with solutions to the opioid epidemic using the expertise of its members and their access to data. Some might wonder if this is a PR push similar to its National Patient ID Challenge, which CHIME decided to shut down last year for lack of viable entries.
Pediatrician Bryan Vartabedian, MD says even Silicon Valley couldn’t create an EHR that doctors wouldn’t hate because “it’s less about design and more of what’s required of doctors.”
- Medicomp Systems will host Medicomp U 2018 May 21-24 in Reston, VA.
- NCQA certifies ZeOmega’s Jiva population health management solution for 10 HEDIS 2018 measures.
- Premier awards Agfa Healthcare an enterprise imaging agreement.
- Forrester cites Liaison Technologies as a “Strong Performer” in operational intelligence for B2B integration.
- Nordic will exhibit at the HIMSS Wisconsin Dairyland Event February 8 in Madison, WI.
- PatientSafe Solutions exhibits at the San Diego Health IT Summit February 1-2 in San Diego.
- The American Heart Association/American Stroke Association and Nordic help University of Colorado Health and Saint Francis Hospital – both Epic sites – optimize quality measure reporting for stroke patients using the ASA’s Get with Guidelines-Stroke program.
- Spok publishes a case study describing how Woman’s Hospital (LA) overcame logistical and communications challenges caused by record flooding to manage a 27 percent increase in call volume and to track physicians down using secure messaging.
- Bernoulli Health profiles company highlights in 2017.
- InterSystems announces GA of its Iris Data Platform for transaction processing and analytics.
- Health IT Day declared at the Georgia State Capitol (Liaison Technologies)
- 3 Questions with Chris Longhurst, CIO at UC San Diego Health (Optimum Healthcare IT)
- If Your Healthcare Organization is Only Using Mobile for Text and Voice, Then Your Mobile Strategy Needs an Update (LifeImage)
- Improving Communication in a Nursing Home for Residents & Staff (LiveProcess)
- How Meditech fulfills the AMA’s 8 EHR Usability Principles (Meditech)
- Avoiding Patient Billing Disasters (Navicure)
- Netsmart Talks Post-Acute Legislative and Policy Advocacy with Home Care and Long-Term Care Associations (Netsmart)
- Who should maintain the EHR problem list? (Nordic)
- The Connected Clinician: How to Receive Pages on Your Smartphone, PHI on Your Pager, and More (Spok)
- Physician Burnout? See how Speech Recognition Can Help! (NVoq)
- Highlights from the MUSE Executive Institute 2018 (Parallon Technology Solutions)
- Four Questions Series: Todd Cozzens, Co-Founder & Managing Partner at Leerink Transformation Partners, PatientPing Board Member (PatientPing)