Ireland goes live on a nationwide maternal and newborn clinical management system at Cork University Maternity Hospital, making newborns like Emily, above (dubbed the country’s “first digital baby”), initial recipients of a digital patient chart. The Cerner-developed MN-CMS will roll out across the country’s 19 maternity units over the next three years, with near-term go lives planned for University Hospital Kerry, Rotunda Hospital, and National Maternity Hospital in Dublin. The new technology is the first of its kind in the world, and marks the Irish healthcare system’s first interoperable EHR.
December 7 (Wednesday) 1:00 ET. “Charting a Course to Digital Transformation – Start Your Journey with a Map and Compass.” Sponsored by Sutherland Healthcare Solutions. Presenters: Jack Phillips, CEO, International Institute for Analytics; Graham Hughes, MD, CEO, Sutherland Healthcare Solutions. The digital era is disrupting every industry and healthcare is no exception. Emerging technologies will introduce challenges and opportunities to transform operations and raise the bar of consumer experience. Success in this new era requires a new way of thinking, new skills, and new technologies to help your organization embrace digital health. In this webinar, we’ll demonstrate how to measure your organization’s analytics maturity and design a strategy to digital transformation.
December 14 (Wednesday) noon ET. “Three Practices to Minimize Drift Between Audits.” Sponsored by Armor. Presenter: Kurt Hagerman, CISO, Armor. Security and compliance readiness fall to the bottom of the priority lists of many organizations, where they are often treated as periodic events rather than ongoing processes. How can they improve their processes to ensure they remain secure and compliant between audits? This webinar will cover the healthcare threat landscape and provide three practices that healthcare organizations can implement to better defend their environments continuously.
Acquisitions, Funding, Business, and Stock
Potomac, MD-based ophthalmologist Sreedhar Potarazu pleads guilty to charges related to a $30 million investment fraud scheme tied to VitalSpring Technologies, his now-defunct healthcare business intelligence company. Potarazu admitted to defrauding over 150 shareholders by lying about the company’s finances, failing to pay payroll taxes, hiding tax liabilities, and even going so far as to concoct a charade around a fake prospective buyer. He faces 15 years in jail.
Theranos will dissolve its Board of Counselors, including two former secretaries of state, the former director of the CDC, and a former secretary of defense. James Mattis, a retired Marine general who has gained notoriety as President-elect Donald Trump’s pick for secretary of defense, will remain on the company’s Board of Directors.
Grail, a spinoff of DNA-sequencing company Illumina, looks to raise $1.7 billion to fund large-scale clinical trials in the UK to test early-stage cancer detection tools. The company was initially funded early this year via a $100 million Series A round led by Illumina.
Boston-based PatientPing raises $31.6 million in a Series B financing round led by Leerink Transformation Partners and Andreessen Horowitz. The company plans to double its workforce and expand beyond the six states it currently serves. Vermont announced statewide adoption of the care alert technology in April. The company raised $9.6 million in venture funding last year.
Germany-based CompuGroup Medical walks away from Agfa acquisition talks for undisclosed reasons. It began discussions with the Belgian company in late October.
Shafiq Rab (Hackensack University Health Network) will join Rush University Medical Center as CIO and SVP effective January 9.
Joe Driscoll (PC Connection) joins Verscend as CFO.
The American Society of Clinical Oncology hires George Komatsoulis (NIH) as its first chief of bio-informatics.
Announcements and Implementations
ColumbiaDoctors (NY) will roll out mobile patient engagement technology from HealthGrid across its 95 locations.
Dayton Children’s Hospital (OH) begins a two-phase implementation of GetWellNetwork’s bedside Interactive Patient Care software. Phase two will take place next Summer with the opening of a new hospital tower.
Athenahealth adds ADP’s workforce payroll and time and attendance software to its AthenaOne offering for hospitals and health systems.
Rochester RHIO adopts the Connect Image Exchange Transfer-to-PACS workflow from EHealth Technologies.
Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago chooses MerlinOne’s digital asset management system.
The Oklahoma Dept. of Human Services opts for case management technology from Mediware to help it better care for aging and/or disabled residents.
Rusk County Memorial Healthcare (WI) selects Harris Healthcare’s Affinity ERP solution for automation and integration of accounting and financial tasks.
Pharmacy procurement and utilization management company Sentry Data Systems signs on with NTT Data Services for data security and hosting.
Baxter launches the Sigma Spectrum Safety Management system, including infusion data analysis and reporting and technical support.
Premier develops performance benchmarking technology that sheds light on potential reimbursements and prioritizes areas of improvement.
Meditech releases a fall risk-management tool kit.
Government and Politics
HHS releases the latest round of healthcare spending figures, which show a 5.8-percent growth in 2015 – the fastest rate since 2008. That puts the average annual healthcare spend for one person at close to $10,000. The increase coincided with 9.7 million people gaining insurance coverage under the ACA, and 10.3 million more enrolling in Medicaid.
Research and Innovation
Tenable publishes a cross-industry analysis of cybersecurity preparedness, noting that readiness scores dropped an average of six percent from last year. It gave the healthcare industry a “D” in overall preparedness, a grade lower than its score of the previous year.
- Agfa Healthcare will present several sessions at the European Summit on Digital Innovation for Active & Healthy Ageing this week in Brussels.
- Audacious Inquiry wins The Baltimore Sun’s 2016 Top Workplaces Award.
- Arcadia Healthcare Solutions will exhibit at the CCO Oregon Cost of Care Conference December 13 in Salem.
- Besler Consulting releases a new podcast, “Key takeaways from the 2017 OPPS Final Rule.”
- B2B Marketing features Bottomline Technologies CMO Christine Nurnberger.
- E-MDs offers early bird pricing for its user conference and symposium June 18-20 in Grapevine, TX.
- EClinicalWorks will exhibit at the 2016 Connected Health Continuum December 11-14 in National Harbor, MD.
- HCI Group releases a new podcast, “EHR Training: Developing Your Curriculum, Using Your LMS, and Organizing Your CTs ft. Stephen Tokarz.”
- An Aprima survey of 312 physicians and practice staff finds that 52 percent believe a Trump presidency will improve healthcare, while 48 percent seem confident in a positive financial impact.
- Meditech customer Farrer Park Hospital (Singapore) receives numerous health IT accolades.
- PokitDok publishes, “5 Healthcare IT Trends to Watch in 2017.”
- EClinicalWorks issues reminders about patient safety and the use of its EHR software.
- Understanding the AIDS Crisis (Arcadia Healthcare Solutions)
- HHS Guidance on HIPAA Compliance in the Cloud: What You Need to Know (Catalyze)
- What are the Key Population Health Management Capabilities? (Caradigm)
- Protected: Emerging Therapies & Clinical Trial Opportunities for ER-Positive, HER2 Negative Metastatic Breast Cancer and HER2-Positive Breast Cancer (CareVive Systems)
- Electronic Prescribing and Electronic Prior Authorization – Key Differences You Need to Understand (CoverMyMeds)
- What is the Most Important Thing to Know About MACRA for 2017 (Culbert Healthcare Solutions)
- Easing into Population Health (ECG Management Consultants)
- Driving Audit Productivity and Efficiency: 5 Key Steps (Hayes Management Consulting)
- EHR Implementation: Choosing and Supporting Your Super Users (HCI Group)
- What’s More Important When Picking a Vendor, Technology or Relationship? (Access)