Greetings from chilly New Orleans! Okay, “chilly” is relative, but I was expecting a little bit warmer weather, as were many others who shelled out $30 or more for a Bourbon Street-logoed sweatshirt. Fortunately there is lots of sunshine, so walking outside during the day was not too bad.
I arrived Saturday afternoon and spent 30 minutes waiting for a cab. The line moved rather fast, but it was still quite a wait. After quickly settling in at my hotel (which is fine) I headed to Bourbon Street for a yummy dinner with friends. I wisely opted to be in bed by 10:30 rather than hit all the fun bars.
Sunday was mostly pre-sessions that cost additional fees, but I was able to poke my head into a couple. Nothing too exciting to report and I learned more talking to other attendees. A number of people mentioned they were looking at tools for mobile devices (such as how to keep them secure and applications that can improve communication.) Others mentioned the need for storage and for analytics tools now that they have more data than ever before.
I also went into the exhibit hall, which was chaos. Amazing to think of the transformation that will happen in just 24 hours. The loading dock doors were all open, making the hall breezy and quite chilly, so I was feeling sorry for the under-dressed vendors.
When I returned to my hotel room, I found a swag bag of goodies. I already ate all the gummy bears from Covisint and played a few notes on the harmonica from MediQuant. The bag mostly contained information on various vendors and giveaways, including:
- Certify (booth 717) is donating $10 to the Greater New Orleans YMCA for every “number bib” attendees bring to their booth.
- Iatric’s slap band will get you discounts at a number of New Orleans restaurants, bars, and clothing stores. If you wear the band to their booth (6613) you can enter a drawing for a Bose Headset.
- You can register to win a iPod Nano a the MediQuant booth (5649)
- Covisint (7628) is giving away a 3D TV.
- Nuance (4025)offers a “special gift” if you sit in on a demo.
- HealthPort (6841) is offering beignets and coffee Monday from 1:00-4:00, Tuesday 3:00-6:00, and Wednesday 10:00-1:00.
- Fulcrum Methods (477) is offering an iPad mini or a wireless Logitech keyboard and mouse if you have a winning code from the marketing card in swag bag (providers only)
- Alego Health (141) is giving away an iPad Mini.
- Carestream (2727) is offering fresh-baked cookies.
Versus (3463) is having a reception Monday and Tuesday from 4:00-5:00.
InterSystems (2817) included a 4GB USB key (thanks!) and is giving away a book by Eric J. Topol, MD.
Health Catalyst (7721) is giving away one iPad a day.
If you take the Mardi Gras coin from InteliChart to their booth (4159) you can be entered to participate in their giveaways which include a Visa card and an iPad a day.
Off to meet Mr. H, Dr. Jayne, and Dr. Gregg for our annual HIStalk board meeting. Have fun everyone!